1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Oregon's student newspaper goes on strike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoo, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

The entire editorial staff of the Oregon Daily Emerald is on strike, effective at 6 a.m. Wednesday, March 4. The strike is in response to recent actions of the Emerald's Board of Directors, which oversees the entire Emerald organization. This is the last edition of the Emerald we will publish until the board meets the four demands the entire newsroom staff presented to the board at its executive session meeting Tuesday night. A copy of that speech can be found at the end of this article.

The demands address recent hiring decisions of the board that are far out of line with the Emerald's guiding values and ethics. The Emerald is in the midst of a transformation that we hope will allow us to continue to publish as long as the University is enrolling students, but we are in dire financial straits and if these changes are not made soon, the Emerald may have to close its doors within the next few years.

However, the newsroom is not willing to sacrifice student control and editorial independence of the Emerald, nor the integrity of this organization, in the process.

http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3830398

2. eyecu

eyecu Member

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. eyecu

eyecu Member

I wouldn't want that guy as my publisher either.

Different Steven.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think they've got a point. I wouldn't want that guy publishing my newspaper, either.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh, it is?

Somebody teach me how to do the blue font thing.

7. eyecu

eyecu Member

Some people might not realize.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Smith's response:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=159533

I haven't had a chance to read up about all of it, but I know that the Emerald needs to get a publisher back in there, and not just for the interim. I also know that Smith has helped the ODE, and the UO J-School, with quite a bit over the years. Does that mean he should waltz right in and change things? No. Does that mean they should at least consider, and not just as stubborn students, all his insight and experience? Yes.

9. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Never graduated from college but I can spell this one out: s.t.u.p.i.d.

Damn good editor and leader who might have saved some souls from that fate worst than death: journalism. Reporters will last much longer than journalists.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did all of the staff who went on strike get paid, because if you don't have a job, you can't go on strike.

11. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

You can stop working, stop providing a service, even if you're a volunteer.

12. Am I missing something?

Doesn't everybody have a boss?

Doesn't every editor need someone over them who can make sure the editor doesn't go rogue? Especially if the person above the editor has actual newspaper experience and the editor is a college kid?

I'm just confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted