1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Minnesota -- how would you handle?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 9, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

BWIP, does that interpretation go across organizations? Does the law mandate that an employer pursue harassment allegations against a non-employee?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's what I was told, that according to the "oath" (for lack of a better term) of licensed HR professionals, they have to.

If the employee came back and said they lied and weren't harassed, it wouldn't be pursued, but if the HR people had the texts, that likely wouldn't be an option.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But is the other organization beholden to it then? That's the part I don't understand -- what happens with this reporter if the paper hits a wall with the university.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Pro tip: No one in North Carolina or associated with the university calls it "Appy."

"App" - yes.

"Appy" - NO.

expendable likes this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn skippy.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think that was it. I think she was afraid the paper would reassign her for a number of valid reasons -- pending litigation, to avoid escalating the situation, for her own protection. None of them are her fault, and all are steps that probably need to be taken in her own interests, but no matter what she does she winds up being victimized again by Mr. Creepy.
    I don't know how old she is, but being on a top beat at a paper like the Star-Tribune is a pretty good gig that's likely to lead to bigger and better things. If this thing ended in a lawsuit, she might never get back there in a best-case scenario. It could take years to settle that. Worst case, she's been mysteriously reassigned to a lesser beat and can't explain it to anyone.
    Either way, she's a victim. Handling it the way she did (pretty perfectly) was a way to maintain some control and power.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a sad story. I don't even know what to say except I have empathy for the reporter and think she handled it all pretty well. The cab incident is pretty disgusting. Would any MEs or sports editors ever institute a policy that their reporters are not to use alcohol or be in any setting with alcohol and their sources? Parties, etc?

8. Fredrick

It's probably a good idea. It's probably a very good idea.

9. expendable

I'd hope not. Alcohol can be a useful tool when you're trying to get a story. A good SE or ME knows that.

10. expendable

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about getting your sources drunk, but it does allow for a relaxed atmosphere, where a good, productive, conversation can take place. As always, moderation is the key.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

12. Fredrick

I know what you are saying about getting in good with your sources. I just don't know how valuable it is to have to socialize with them. For instance the Minnesota reporter. All the AD cared about apparently was dating her or having sex with her. I don't know if her having drinks with the AD a few times helped her get stories. These athletic officials nowadays are pretty guarded. I think the reporters who think they are getting a lot of extra knowledge by drinking with the sources might not be getting as much as they think they are. I could be mistaken. I have no hands on proof. I do respect the reporter in this instance. She seems very courageous and professional.

Draft saved Draft deleted