1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky football reporter, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MonsterLobster, May 11, 2015.

1. This has been posted elsewhere for a while, but after a much-needed week off, I'll finally begin sorting through candidates this week and next.

TL;DR: Looking for a UK football writer to work in Lexington, Ky., covering the Cats. The great Kyle Tucker, who has spent several years covering all things UK, is now our UK hoops writer. This position will serve as the lead on football and football recruiting (with backup from Kyle) and will serve as the backup on UK basketball (as Kyle handles the lead and recruiting duties for that sport).

We're looking for someone willing to break the advance, gamer, notebook, recap cycle while serving as the voice and face (we do a lot of video, both live and produced) on a competitive beat. The good news is I'm told there are few places with better access than the UK football program, Lexington's nice and you've got a well-sourced, knowledgeable reporter in Kyle to help you hit the ground running.

If you apply, please do it soon. If you want to email me to follow up or to add something not available in the online application, cool, but please include UK FOOTBALL REPORTER in the subject line so I can easily find you among the 18,000 emails I get a day.

The Courier-Journal is seeking a Sports Reporter - UK Football. This position would be primarily for football, including game coverage and enterprise. It also would cover men's basketball recruiting and back-up for men's basketball coverage. A greater emphasis will be placed on analysis rather than on game coverage. All writers must have more voice.

Duties:

Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.

Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social-media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.

Works with Content Strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.

Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed. Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand. Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.

Skills and Knowledge:

Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism

Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills

Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing and editing)

Self-motivation and self-direction

Advanced knowledge of social-media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.

Photo and video skills

Effective communication and time management skills; works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment

Qualifications:

Bachelor's in Communication, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education. Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base. Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms. Knowledge and understanding of metrics, Videography, Microsoft Office Suite, Interpersonal skills and Creativity.

We offer:

Competitive salaries, health care, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending account, HSA, 401k and stock; paid vacation time and sick leave. Pre-employment drug testing and a background screening are required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace including veterans and applicants with disabilities.

Career Opportunities: Reporter - Sports UK Football (53706)

2. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Interesting to see Gannett finally doing what it should have done about 20 years ago with this beat.

3. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

To whom (and to what email address) should items not available in the online application be sent for this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted