1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University fires $100k/year social media director for lying on resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was talking moreso about the idea that whoever has that job simply sits at his or her desk and sends out tweets.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Our social media person goes nuts. Like Sonner said, a lot more to it than tweeting once an hour. The gig probably isn't worth $100k, but if (IF!) your social media liaison finds a way to monetize your audience, you've found a winner.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sentient. I understand social media. I can imagine what the job actually "entails" -- repetitive busy work and training -- vs. your vague description of it. I can imagine everybody needs the $2,000 Mac Book to do the job, too.

Nobody - I mean nobody - blows money like higher education.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Obviously, the position requires more than tweeting, but similar positions in the federal government pay $40k.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am going with doctorquant's guess about the nervous administrator and that this woman is the Jessica Dorrell of academics.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Y'all insinuating there was a little intersocial media going on?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just read the reddit thread. Wowie, divorce sucks.

So Jordan, if you're reading this, you know there is plenty more where this came from and I'm telling you this is just the beginning. I told you I was going to publicly humiliate you for lying about me and I meant it. I hope you learned a lesson and come clean because next time around may not be so easy. My guess is that you will start looking for ways to get revenge instead.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She had "Michigan Press Award nominee..." on her resume?
    Really? Putting down contest entries -- not winners -- on her resume?
    The ex-hubby's nuts, but she's a prize too...

9. "References available on request. Thank You!" is a ticket to a job.

I'm just wondering how many internships she had.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Yes, it is an important job. Not $100k important.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I put SportsJournalists.com nominee on mine. Is that wrong?

12. printit

printit Member

One twist to this story I would not be surprised to hear (note that I am not asserting that this is what happened, but I would not be surprised at all by it) is that the hiring of this degree-less gal involved a search that wasn't as wide-open as it should have been. Indeed, there might be a higher-level administrator sweating bullets today.
    [/quote]

This is exactly right. Many of these "open" searches are anything but.

As an aside, does anyone think she shouldn't have been fired? I mean, if it really was just one class, and she was good at the job....I dunno, seems like letting her take the stupid class would have been OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted