1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of South Carolina beat reporter, Greenville News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

I wouldn't rule you out if you have good clips. They have a history of hiring go-getters from smaller papers. It also doesn't hurt that you live nearby. They'll probably consider it a big plus that they wouldn't have to fly you in.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Unless Janice is hot. Then I might interview her.

3. Magnum

Magnum Member

Just to piggyback on this, I welcome anyone here to cruise their website at greenvilleonline.com and report back how long it takes until you want to throw your computer out the window.

It's absolutely the most frustrating and cluttered site I've ever seen.

4. It's no different than other Gannett papers I've seen. For a company that prides itself on forward-thinking regarding the Internet, its Web sites leave a lot to be desired.

5. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Word is this position is going to disappear and be split up among the current staff ...

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shocking.
    Absolutely shocking.

I apologize for leading anyone on for this gig. When I posted it, they had every intention of filling it, as we've seen by them even conducting interviews.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't find it shocking. That's the tendency these days, to not fill vacant positions. It seems like everybody is doing with less these days. My shop is down to one photog and he's on vacation this week, so I shot two football games last night and I'm the SE. I don't see this trend getting better in the near future.

8. CLH85

CLH85 New Member

so is it official that the position has been filled by current staff members and they're no longer conducting interviews?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

From what I'm hearing, no more interviews. People there, not happy about it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Better to do that, then bring some one in a cut them loose in six weeks when Gannett starts the bloodletting again

11. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Nothing like covering by committee one of your most important beats - from two hours away. Wow.

No doubt more cuts on are the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted