1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of South Carolina beat reporter, Greenville News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Oct 9, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hate it when that happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I feel your angst.

I mean, it does take a lot of effort to go to the Greenville News' site, find the SE's email address and then send him a quick note. That could take all of ten minutes! We can't have that, no.

3. JackReacher

Yeah. I'd rather sit around and wait for an ad while all the other take it upon themselves to get up and do some legwork. What a buncha dummies!

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And, as we all know, reporters don't have to do legwork.

5. JackReacher

Never. Especially if you cover a pro beat. I'm sooooo gonna get this job.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Great, great town. I worked at the G-News for five months, and loved the town. Love the sports staff.

But the comments on management CAN be true. Not all the time, but there is certainly some heavy-handedness.

For specific folks to address mailings to, try Chris Weston, managing editor, Jim Rice, assistant sports editor, and Bart Wright, sports editor.

PM me for more details.

7. JackReacher

Damn. Five months?

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is just a suggestion, but how about, before we resort to name-calling -- I doubt there's anybody here who's a dummy, and I'm sure anyone who's in that much of a rush to go get this job already has called/looked up the paper to get whatever contact info they need -- we remember that this is the job board.

These threads are supposed to be started with an ad. Period.

Protocol, and all that. That's all that I, myself, meant.

I don't think these threads are necessarily meant as the avenue to prove how much legwork somebody's willing to do in pursuit of a story. And I know I'm not a dummy.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great post!!!!

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Five months. Job/town had very little to do with my exit.

11. JackReacher

If the dummy comment hurt your feelings, you have bigger issues to deal with. It was a light-hearted joke. Get over it.

And my point was, yes, it'd be nice to have an ad, but that's not always how it works. If you wait around for ads to pop up, chances are, you're not gonna get the job.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Write, you're correct. The name-calling is unnecessary.
    But there's also something to be said for getting ahead of the curve. Would the people who've seen this posting here and already got stuff sent to Greenville rather have waited for some job ad to be posted? My guess is not.
    Over the years, I've posted several jobs on here prior to an ad -- in some cases, an ad never came. But you can be sure that if it comes from me, there is a job opening (I'm hoping my track record is why the mods have not locked this thread -- if we can stay away from the name-calling, maybe it will stay unlocked).
    Sure, Greenville may shift someone over, may freeze the position. As of right now, there is an opening and they are looking for Scoppe's replacement.
    If you're interested in the gig, good luck in pursuing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted