1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of Oregon to hire CSF's Horton to start baseball program ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Maybe it's just the fact that I've only been following college baseball - loosely, I might add - for about three years, but I'm happy that a school is finally going back and ADDING a program, as opposed to dropping one. That's a step in the right direction.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Some schools are stepping up their programs, too. One of the caveats of State College bringing in an A-ball team was that Penn State could build a 6,000-seat ballpark and massively upgrade its baseball facilities, which paled in comparison to the local high school diamond.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But when you factor in the cost of living, Lopez is probably making more in Tucson. Hill's is probably a push since he's in San Diego.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The San Diego U-T today reported that Rich Hill has agreed to an extension (terms and length not disclosed) and won't be going anywhere. Seems the CSF opening and even talk about Oregon before Horton got it lit a fire under USD to get something done.

As for Vanderhook, I think he's not the guy for CSF as the head coach. Assistant? Sure. HC, No.

Who else from the Cerritos College factory is available?

5. Claws for Concern

You mean like UC Irvine did a few years ago?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State's stadium was built in 1999. It has received consistent upgrades, and will again be refurbished and expanded in the off-season. It has played on the same site since 1907, but not in the same stadium.

It's what you do at the CWS that counts. In the past 10 years, the Pac-10 has won three national titles and has finished second four times, with four separate programs in that mix (Oregon State, Stanford, USC, Arizona State).

The SEC has one championship, and two second-place finishes. The ACC has no championshiops, and three second-place finishes. The Big 12 has two titles, and one runner-up finish, all by the same program (Texas). All of those conferences have 12 programs playing baseball; the Pac-10 has nine and will until Oregon starts inn 2009.

No question which conference has been the best in Omaha. Oregon State was so much better than everyone else in Omaha this year it was ridiculous - it trailed for one inning in the entire tournament, and won its last four games by six or more runs - and it placed sixth in the Pac-10 this spring.

Horton is an excellent coach and over time will establish a good program at Oregon. Oregon is spending money like drunken sailors, as usual, but it might be a long, long time before it finishes in the top 4 in the Pac-10, much less even gets to Omaha and then matches what Oregon State has accomplished.

7. Claws for Concern

I am shocked that Serrano is back at CSF. He did so much so soon for UCI. But as a CSF alumnus myself, continuity is important. Serrano was next in line anyway. Wonder if Vanderhook leaves CSF and takes the UCI job now?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm shocked as well, but pleased nonetheless.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

With 11.7 scholarships, it shouldn't take them that long to be competitive.

To do list...
    1. Get Nike money. Check.
    2. Get badass coach with badass West coast connections. Check.
    3. Go find two badass starting pitchers.

Whey they can check No. 3, they'll be good to go.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And I'd just like to add this. Fucking A, Ducks. Fuckin A.

I love college baseball.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The Pac-10 was divided into North and South divisions from 1979-1998. The South included: Arizona, Arizona State, Southern California, UCLA, Stanford and California. The North had: Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Oregon (until 1981), Eastern Washington, Gonzaga, Portland and Portland State.

In earlier incarnations, the Pac-10 included: Idaho, Santa Clara, St. Mary's, Montana, UC Santa Barbara, University of San Francisco and Occidental College.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Fucking A! Who gives a fuck about competitive cheering? Are you saying that that's more popular than wrestling? I've got nothing against Title IX, but I'm am fucking sick of seeing wrestling and baseball programs getting cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted