1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of Iowa ath dept beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JME, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I can speak highly of the Gazette. Excellent sports section, I have a few friends on the staff.

This can be an interesting beat. The basketball program is a mess (again) and there are a lot of issues to cover on campus. Plenty of opportunities with this job.

Iowa City is a pretty expensive place to live, but there are inexpensive small towns that are a close drive.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This beat could also be interesting because the Gender Equity in Sports Project is based out of Iowa. With former Iowa AD Christine Grant, Iowa City is usually a go-to resource when Title IX is in the news.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Iowa City is nice, its a frequent stop on my sojourns.

Cedar Rapids is close enough to Iowa City that you could live there and likely do the Iowa job just fine. They're maybe 20 miles apart.

Cedar Rapids' paper is all right, but Cedar Rapids the town? Ehh ...

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hey, once your nose gets used to that lovely Quaker Oats/Cargill factory stench, it's almost livable... ;)

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. Smells like fermented puke.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sure, but on Friday nights you can drive up to Cedar Falls to dance dance dance at Shagnasties ...

7. JB20

JB20 Member

I had some good times at the place in college. ...

As for Cedar Rapids, if you actually get off the highways and head into town, it's really a nice place. A lot of towns around there are nice, too. And, it's a great paper.

8. Anybody know how quickly the Gazette is moving on filling this? The deadline to apply isn't for another couple weeks, so I'd guess it will be awhile before they actually make the hire. Any other news -- at all -- about this opening?

9. abelives

abelives Guest

Did they ever make a hire here?

10. JBHawkEye

I haven't heard, which is a little surprising. Usually the names of new hirings get out in our corner of the state.

11. JBHawkEye

Oh, and by the way, I was in CR today. The Quaker Oats smell, combined with the humidity, made it quite pleasant.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Iowa City is a fun, fun town. Lived there for 18 months. If anyone can find those MFA artists' drawings of me as a nude model, I'd pay decent money ...

Oh, and Panchero's has tasty burritos and tacos.

Draft saved Draft deleted