1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. Miami football locker room no longer "open"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not exactly new, though.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The reason they're closed is not solely because of the Internet. Some were being closed before it became so wildly prolific.

The origins were coaches' control and because female reporters were wanting access. The Internet has only added to the issue, understandably, with one reason being Waylon's reference about the speed of info being posted.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I covered the Big 8 in college, I went to every city for football and if memory serves, every one had an open locker room. I think a few were closed for hoops.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The sad part is that Urban Meyer wants his SID to be the worst in terms of dealing with the media. You almost wonder why a Florida SID has a job. Interns could compile the stats and do lame notes ("Johnny Jones has now caught three or more passes in 6 of his last 7 SEC games ... Florida is now 4-1 under Urban Meyer in non-conference games starting at 6 p.m. or later ..."). I think Meyer could find his way from the locker room to the podium without being led there. Under those conditions, who the hell needs an SID, other than to keep ESPN happy.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Florida had horrendous access long before Meyer arrived.

It was actually worse under Zook than it was under Spurrier, who felt he could handle things on his own, and had his best friend running the SID show.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The best friend was Norm Carlson, who was already retired and just hanging around being Steve's valet. John Huminik was the SID under Spurrier, until the Ball Coach ran him off.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Humenik was an OK guy, a lot better than the fuck who replaced him. I remember Mike Bianchi writing a column about the Foley firing Humenik. I remember thinking it was strange that a columnist was writing about a fired SID, but it was an interesting read.

Draft saved Draft deleted