1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. Miami football locker room no longer "open"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 30, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You'd think, because coaches are notorious copy-cats, that they'd see the FSU and Miami examples and throw everything open.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

In my limited experience with him -- when he was D coordinator -- I wasn't that impressed.

Covered the Fiesta Bowl in which OSU upset Miami. One of the interview sessions before the game I'm picking his brain about OSU's offense.

As we're breaking down the weapons, I was stunned to hear him say they didn't fear Krenzel as a running threat. I went back at him a few times, noting how many big play the kid had made that season with his feet.

Didn't matter to Shannon.

If memory serves, Krenzel had more rushing yards than anyone else that night. Regardless of the total, he killed Miami with his feet, as he had done to other teams all season.

I still have no idea why Shannon didn't view that aspect of his game as a threat.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Have had the pleasure of dealing with both teams and SID staffs.

Hall of Fame access and cooperation.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously. You guys get whoever you want after games? No problems?

I'd say that your experience is different from mine; you're writing a gamer on deadline and a quote from the QB is all you can squeeze in; or you're a sad sack journalist who has become happy with whatever crumbs are set out before you.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Carroll allows reporters good access. He's always seemed like he's pretty easy to deal with...

It's good to know there are still a few top coaches left who aren't control freak assholes.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Claude Felton may be the best SID out there.

I don't remember the name of the SID at Auburn, but I needed Tuberville for a question about a former player a few years back. My timing was terrible. They were playing LSU and I didn't call until Wednesday or so. The SID said they would call me back. I thought I was getting blown off. They called me back 15 minutes later and said Tuberville would call me at 7:15 my time, 6:15 their time.

To the minute, that's when my phone rang.

Some of that's the coach, but a lot of that is a damn good SID.

7. Let me add Frank Beamer and his VaTech SIDs to the list - I remembered I needed to talk to him for a story I was doing about special teams, and thought, "Oh, great, time to deal with another Berlin Wall of access - 'What's the story about? Why are you doing it?' " Instead, they set it right up for the next day or day after, and Beamer called me exactly when he said he would. Wild change of pace from the guy I deal with.

8. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

It will be interesting to see how much this changes when Bowden retires. He's of course always been incredibly media friendly. I have a feeling that Jimbo Fisher --- who was partly groomed under Nick Saban after all --- might have a different view of media access when he takes over.

Of course, with the way the old man is still clutching onto his job, Fisher might retire before he does.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I was offended by that as well. I don't know whether he just means girl sports reporters or whether he means there are women posing as reporters, hanging around the locker room, trying to get in.

If it's the former, guh. Remind me never to go there to cover anything. If it's the latter, their sports info department isn't working very hard.

And I remember the first time I went to do a locker room interview. I've never heard a winning locker room that quiet in my life before. These high school boys were staring at me like I was an alien who had crash-landed, right there in their locker room. (The only reason I went in was I was shadowing someone who was showing me the ropes and he never thought twice about me going in the locker room. After that, I just met the coaches outside and requested the players from there.)

10. You can always count on special teams to get Beamer chatting.

11. Registered_Muser

Registered_Muser New Member

Both USC and UCLA have open locker rooms. Guess it has something to do with being in the No. 2 market in the country.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Virginia Tech is great for football. Very helpful, they'll let you film practice so long as you "keep the shot tight!" according to Beamer.

It's amazing to think, that when football players are treated like babies and protected with the force of a small army, these players leave school without any communication skills whatsoever.

But at least the coach can shift his irrational paranoia to another aspect of his crappy life.

Draft saved Draft deleted