1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Way and You

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 13, 2007.

?

What is your newspaper's relationship with United Way?

1. Mandatory donation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Donation strongly suggested

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Give if you want

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No relationship

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. That should be fun.

2. Let's start by asking you this: Mr. Lum, you've actually had a post or two on here that were smart and well thought out, yet you continue to spend most of your time here intentionally being a jackass ... why don't you think your mother loved you?

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Damnit! Beat me to it.

Of the seven papers I've worked for, five were extremely heavy-handed about this shit. The other two were so small they should have been getting money from the UW.

4. Next question, Mr. Lum.

Your constant, unprovoked attacks are obviously a cry for help - a way for you to draw attention to yourself. This indicates to me that you never really developed socially beyond the fifth grade days of pulling a girl's hair as a way of telling her you liked her.

Have you always lacked social skills? Do you live in your mother's basement? Do you like to listen in when she's having sex with strange men in her bedroom?

Do you need a tissue? Um, for your eyes ...

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No pressure here, just pleas. I never give. I give to other things. They know I'm not cheap, though, because we have a matching-gift program for gifts to schools and I give every year.

6. Who do you agree with? What point did you make? All you managed to do was call us pieces of shit because, irony of ironies, you apparently don't agree with us ... yet you gave us no reason why you don't agree with us. No thesis, no argument no explanation why it wouldn't be a good reason to investigate a non-profit company headed by millionaires who can go to bed at night assured that their friends at the newspaper won't go snooping around their dirty laundry.

Just name calling.

Yet I'm blathering ...

Back to my questions, Mike. Was it your fault your parents divorced?

7. I think it's great to give and I think reporters should be encouraged to give but there are so many charities out there and we only have so much disposable income that I think it's wrong to force us to give everything to one, especially one so top heavy.

I know a local woman who gives every dime she has supporting her mission and clothing people ... every Christmas she gives my wife and I contact info for a family or two who have nothing ... so we can shop for the kids ... that's a hell of a lot better feeling than giving part of my check to United Way.

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

The CEO of the United Way of Central Georgia only makes $350,000 a year. Keep those donations coming, folks!

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2007/04/11/0411bizunitedway.html

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's why I give to a food bank in February. All the Christmas donation money is gone and they still need to eat. I feel a helluva lot better, because I'm giving when it isn't the season....

10. I betcha the New York Times doesn't force their reporters to give to United Way ... it's the only reason I can explain this ...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/791618/posts

11. We do a little bit of that too, but mostly stuff for kids. I'm a big sucker for kids.

12. Your only argument: You don't want to donate to this charity, so it MUST be evil and filled with crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted