1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United tells people they're too fat to fly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree with this idea, it doesn't surprise me that United is the first airline to try this.

I have never dealt with an airline workforce that was as hostile towards its customers as United is. I think they make everyone they hire take a semester of Asshole 101 before they're allowed to work.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Southwest tried it first.
    http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/119-fat-flyers-southwest-pay-up.html

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

At least that's what my wife always says ... hay yo!

4. KG

KG Active Member

I can understand why they'd do this, but the seats do seam a bit small to me. I'm a 10 and I find them uncomfortable. If they were the size of bus seats it would be better. I guess I'm just spoiled by the size of car seats. It's a good thing I don't fly that often.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

For my $400, I get maybe 18 inches of seat space.
    What entitles somebody else to a third of that space? How can that be reasonable?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The number of flights I've taken is in the triple digits. I have yet to see a person on a plane who takes up a third or half of the next person's seat. Seems like it's a big problem for others, though.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have seen people who would need two seats at my local poker room. This thread made me wonder what must happen when they try to go on vacation..

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Outing alert! KG is:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. I understand the ruling. As a bigger guy (who still manages to fit in just his seat), I can see how this would be a problem.

That being said, can I ask the flight attendant to charge the asshole that sits next to me and pokes his elbows and knees into my space (when he isn't big enough to need to do so)? People impede on space on airplanes all the time, so where do we draw the line? And yes, I know, I can say "Hey douche, don't take up so much space," but that doesn't mean they will.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

I think the customer complaints (700 complaints is enough for an airline to enact a controversial policy?)
    I think its an issue with weight and fuel costs

A planeload of fatties costs a hell of a lot more to fly than a plane of average folk

They guage their fuel loads based on average passenger weights. The typical IHOP feeder throws it out of whack.

Same reason why there are stricter limits on luggage weights.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, based on that, airlines should price their tickets by the pound. :)

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

"And when does that plane land, man?"

Draft saved Draft deleted