1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United tells people they're too fat to fly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't a d_b as a search came up empty. If you ever needed a reason to go on a diet, this might be it.

http://www.wgntv.com/landing/?United-Airlines-bumping-bigger-passenger=1&blockID=267721&feedID=209

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know I'm going to get killed for this...but, as a frequent flyer, I understand why this is being done.

There is nothing worse than having someone next to you occupying half your seat.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This wouldn't be an issue if they switched to bleacher benches.

4. You don't have to be a frequent flyer to understand the logic here.
    Sit next to a fat person on a cramped-ass plane one time. Just one time.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They've been talking about this on HLN all day, and most people seem to understand. The "ooh, that's discrimination" crowd has been fairly silent.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. If it costs more to provide a service for someone because of their weight, then they should have to pay more for it.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't really see anything wrong with this. If you take up more than your allotted space you pay for more.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I had to fly from Alaska to Minneapolis with a 450-pound guy to my right with me in the window seat. A terrible experience, and one that leads me to say that I understand this policy.

Yes, it's hard to tell someone they're too obese, but when they begin to compromise the experience for others, it becomes a logistics issue, in my book.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's not so much a weight issue as it is a girth issue.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What if they're constantly getting up and down, and obscuring your view of the in-flight movie?

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As someone who was obese until a few months ago, this smacks of discrimination.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

So you feel it is fair to the person next to you on a flight if you take up half their seat and make the flying experience miserable for them?

I don't see this as discrimination since there is an actual logistical reason behind the policy.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How? I pay for a full seat and get squeezed because the guy next to me can't stay in between the arm rests?

Draft saved Draft deleted