1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Airlines to drop Cleveland as a hub in cost-cutting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 2, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

All depends on your seniority.

What sucks for the folks in Cleveland is that flight privileges are the best benefit, and there won't be many flights left there.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have relatives who work for United and they've been cutting flights all over the place for years.

Worst major airline by a mile, IMO...

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Are the Schedulers unionized at United? Might be a combination of p[ackages to getthe numbers down, at least I hope so.

The airline employees who have it tough to get on flights are the call centre employess for Jet Blue in SLC. Huge number of employees but a really light schedule to get anywhere.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, CO had call centers in SLC and in Tampa. Same deal for them.

CO also had a lot of flight crews that commuted from Denver from back when they had a hub there. They were very happy with the merger.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Dennis Maruk. Nice grab, Double J.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

As Yankee Fan said, this was inevitable. My brother lives about 30 minutes from CLE and my home airport used to have direct CO flights to Norfolk. It was so convenient, an hour and a half in the air and I was in Cleveland. Now I can't fly direct and have to change either at Dulles or godforsaken Newark. With flights being reduced so significantly, I wonder if the D concourse will be shut down?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does US Air/American still have a hub in Pitttsburgh? I can see where going direct into Pittsburgh and renting a car might make more sense to get to much of northeastern Ohio.

8. YankeeFan

Pittsburgh already lost its hub.

Draft saved Draft deleted