1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfortunate Time magazine cover of Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I hadn't heard about this until my very religious sister sent it to me. And my very religious mom wonders if it is intentional.

I've got to think it was an accident. It took me a minute to notice how the "M" over the head looked. But somebody's got to notice how it looks before it goes out. You would think that the magazine cover would be seen by many people before it is printed. If it was a magazine other than Newsweek or Time, I'd wonder about intentions, but those magazines try to play it straight in their editorial decisions.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh, that happens all the time...happened with Clinton's man of the year photo. The M is right in the middle of the cover, so it's probably unavoidable

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This one's not as bad:

[​IMG]

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Riiiiiiiight. Nothing wrong here. Just move along.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't think there's any big deal here.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got a bigger problem with TIME pimping a book by its two reporters, Michael Duffy and Nancy Gibbs, similar to the way they pimped a former editor's book on Ben Franklin.
    Are reporters getting to be like radio hosts who get book deals simply because they can sell what their book subject as a cover piece at their place of business?
    I'm sure the book is good and I enjoyed the Graham special on ABC that I'm sure was part of a PR push by the book publisher, but I do have to question Time's judgement.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Since the only way I've seen a devil's horns portrayed have been side by side -- as opposed to the stegosaurus-style front-to-back alignment in the Graham photo -- I can't say I see the big deal.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought maybe a cat was hiding behind him.

Im in ur magazine, sataning ur preachers

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His head is obscuring Fritz the Cat.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

First laugh I've had on a Monday that has fellated wilderbeasts. Thanks, MM.

11. [​IMG]

I agree. He looks more like Sonic the Hedgehog than Satan.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Think about this.
    Graham is in profile. If you're trying to say those are devil ears sticking out of his head, it would mean his ears are rising from his forehead and the crown of his skull.
    Ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted