1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfinished beat business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Mar 23, 2008.

1. bob

bob Member

I covered a major pro beat for years, and traveled with the team. My company took me off the road and I don't think one of my "loyal readers" notice. No phone calls, no e-mails, nothing.
    Do what's best for you.

2. accguy

accguy Member

RedCanuck,

I can understand your feeling of wanting to see something out. To me it's really about timing. If there's, say, a month left in the season, I think it's completely reasonable to ask the new place to give you the time to finish it out. In many ways it shows them that you do care about your work, etc.

If it's more than, say, six weeks, I would talk with my bosses about the best way to handle a transition and move along.

In some ways, that's the best way to be fair to all parties involved. I know people who have had extended periods between when they've announced their leaving and when they actually leave. Well usually well-inentioned, the person leaving ends up working with one foot (and half their mind) out the door.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Thanks accguy, that's actually what we've worked toward. Since it's the same company, I'm going to stick with this team through the end of the year while working otherwise in the new role.

Draft saved Draft deleted