1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfailed: California's budget outlook best in years...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure there is a huge demand to go from Fresno to Madera. :D

It seems like I've been hearing about high-speed rails from SF to LA and LA to Vegas since I was a teenager.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Surpluses don't just generate the "let's spend the money on this project" response. They also generate the "cut taxes" response.

From some people, they generate both responses.

Nobody ever seems to say "pay off outstanding debts," whether it's at the federal, state or local level.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This thread title belongs in the "World's Tallest Midget" category.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Until they do something about the pensions being paid out, I can't imagine California being in decent shape financially.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pensions are never going to be "paid out" because they are a continuing liability and based upon whether the reserves in hand plus the anticipated future revenues cover the pension obligations; that's the whole foundation of pensions (I used to be a building trades pension fund attorney).

The question is whether the actuaries have made a "conservative" model or "aggressive" model in what future revenues are needed. "Fully funded", which is the key issue, means whether the fund can pay out all current and future liabilities or not, based on the future revenues (new payments and returns on investments).

A surplus is a big thing here in the Golden State, it just shows that if you are willing to pay for things (taxes), you do not have to deficit spend. As a taxpayer, I'm proud that we have taken steps to get our house in order. In our local schools, the monies are having an impact.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YES! YES! YES!

High-speed rail financing struck down by judge, project in jeopardy

http://www.mercurynews.com/california-high-speed-rail/ci_24598004/high-speed-rail-financing-struck-down-by-judge

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the midget in question can't stand tall enough to see the $640 Billion unfunded liabilities in the pension program. They're in great shape, alright. Just a few more "responsible tax increases" from that brave supermajority and things will be peachy keen.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Great news: Judge halts funding of the bullet train

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-judge-blocks-state-funding-bullet-train-20131125,0,725258.story#axzz2liPHjj7I

9. poindexter

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
    Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
    Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.
    Applicant: I like rape.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Still my No. 1 movie on my iPhone/iPad.

11. poindexter

Its looking at a deficit of $71 billion alone from the teacher's pension.

The second-largest public pension fund in the country, after California's primary pension system for public employees, it faces a $71-billion shortfall that worsens by $22 million every day, according to pension officials.

That's just the teacher pension, not the big Kahuna, the firefighter/cop/pencil pusher pension.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-teacher-pensions-20140221,0,3987312.story#ixzz2u062RUpC

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

So, you get rid of traditional pensions. You get rid of Social Security and Medicare (or severely trim them back until they're useless) because they're entitlement programs sucking this great nation dry. Does anyone believe that 401(k)s are going to pick up the slack?

I know the nuclear option is only favored by a few. But really, how much do you cut until retirement for most people becomes like it was in the 1900s, grim and cheerless and if you were lucky, the kids let you hole up in the basement?

Draft saved Draft deleted