1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployment back up above 9%; new job numbers down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 3, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

U.S. debt is not a popular growth vehicle right now, Mike. We have had the bond market propped up by $600 billion from the Federal Reserve and it made the economy look better than it was. But it was all false and it's manipulation. On top of it, the Euro has been tanking, drawing money here. But is that really a formula for success? Bill Gross at PIMCO -- probably the most successful bond investor in our time (no hyperbole) -- has dumped all U.S. treasuries from PIMCO's total return fund (the world's largest bond fund).

In one of his commentaries he wrote:

He has called the two rounds of quantitative easing a ponzi scheme.

You are so worried about oil prices, right? Look at what the government intrusion you argue for has done to CAUSE higher prices. Oil is priced in dollars. In the last decade we have devalued the dollar by more than 60 percent. That causes inflation by driving up the price of assets denominated in dollars. Our central bank's manipulation of asset prices has backfired on us -- and the world. Food and energy prices have gone up signficantly in the last year. That has hit emerging markets particularly hard, and has delayed growth in the U.S. Not to mention the inflation.

Also, the price of oil is not just a function of U.S. demand. Supply, or lack of it, tells much more of a story (this requires longer term thinking -- it will be a continual trend, with ups and downs). Oil production is declining by a health clip every year. That's because there are no new known oil reserves in the world. By 2030 the IEA believes the yearly decline in production is going to be close to 9 percent. Before the world's economies slowed down, the price was marching up. It was halted by the global recession. But you can't stop this. It is going to just keep rising. Any inkling that demand is picking up, and it is going to go up significantly from where it is in anticipation. I can't speak day to day or month to month about what is going to happen. But over the next decade, the price of oil is going to increase significantly. It isn't speculation. It's a supply issue. I posted on another thread relatively recently what Jim Rogers always says about then looking to drill under Buckingham Palace before there are any viable alternatives. It will be $300 a barrel or more by then. And the main reason is that as long-term trends, demand has picked up, and will continue to pick up. And supply is slowly dwindling.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will only point out that while Bill Gross might well be correct at some unknowable point in the future, his opinion on Treasuries has cost his clients a lot of money in the here and now.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks to a couple of Tito-filled glasses, I've been thinking about just how Machiavellian the Obama Administration could get over the next couple of months.

If you are of the very reasonable assumption that by late next summer, the economy will be either worse or just slightly better than it is now (which is my belief) then it goes to reason Obama will have a very difficult time getting re-elected.

So why not muddy the water even more? Why not goad the GOP into NOT increasing the debt limit, do your damnedest to make sure the country knows WHY you are refusing to make draconian cuts in government spending, and then let the chips fall where they may? Meaning, when China and Russia and Saudia Arabia spit the dollar-bit as a result of our default, and the economy immediately goes from bad to very very worse, Obama and Co. would just sit back and blame those geniuses in the House and then ask America who do you trust more to get us out of the mess, the guy who warned you this would happen, or the multi-millionare or (Heaven help us) half-term Alaska governor on the other side of the ticket?

Sure, that would take some deft maneuvering on the part of the President, but something tells me he's pretty quick on his feet.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

He is already doing everything he can to harm the economy...why not go the whole nine yards.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Genius. Not sure why other presidents don't tank the economy to ensure re-election. Seems like a fool-proof strategy.

7. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

The other guys ruined the economy and I wasn't a strong enough President to stop them. Thta's why you should vote for me.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of money? Hardly.

Bill Gross has pretty much been consistently right for a few decades -- when it comes to fixed income investing, admittedly something I don't pay much attention to. But he's as good as it gets in that line.

Regardless, when you have a massive portfolio to manage, as he does, you can't make quick and nimble moves. He is smart to avoid treasuries, because they have been propped up by Fed Reserve games and when the ponzi scheme unwinds he won't be stuck with paper he can't unload. Treasuries have not been trading on fundamentals. They have been trading on cash injections from the Federal Reserves. Yields dropped and Gross didn't participate. But the relatively insignificant short-term gains he missed out on (and it's not like he can't find high yield corporate and cheaper emerging market plays that I would guess have rewarded him), will be rewarded when he isn't left holding increasingly worthless bonds when they are no longer propped up by the Federal Reserve's "buybacks."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, we certainly know the Party of No is doing everything in its power to assist a robust recovery.

Har de har har har.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

If only he would have had a couple of years with a veto-proof majority in the senate and a supermajority in the house. Man, the great things he could have done to address the economy and jobs. That has always been his top priority, you know.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In before the lock!

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hey wait, this can't be right - Obama promised us he would have this all straightened out by now and we'd all have our 40 acres and a mule and be in the black (figuratively of course)

Draft saved Draft deleted