1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unemployed need not apply

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

AND NO GODDAMN IRISH!

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. I understand that. I just want to make sure that for X amount of resources we're spending on this policy, we are reaping X amount of reward. And I want to make sure that we have some crystallized idea of what the reward is. Because it's not job creation. In fact, if companies have to expend resources on compliance, we might lose jobs instead.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The FOFI (first out, first in) Act ... I like it!

Seriously, it's shitty business. Hiring firms do themselves no favors with this approach. But if you force firms to devote resources to ensure compliance with additional anti-discrimination regulation, you inevitably shift all employers' demand curve leftward (i.e., you reduce their demand for employees).

What other tools might be available? What about newspapers refusing to accept such ads? What about newspapers writing stories about firms -- and naming names -- who engage in such practices? I, for one, would seriously consider taking my business away from companies that engage in such practices.

4. Dick Whitman

Again: Nuts.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting that we can export this kind of "ethical business" thinking to Mexicali or Lima -

http://www.transfairusa.org/

- but can never really figure out how to implement it in North Carolina or Georgia.

6. Dick Whitman

Well, everyone knows that Mexican workers are living high on the hog.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The compassion and civic awareness we seem willing to expend on a cup of coffee at Starbuck's eludes us when it comes to saving our own necks.

8. Dick Whitman

But how do we get there?

We all want the same thing. Full employment.

How do we get there? How do we manipulate the market to incentivize hiring that adds value to the economy?

How?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then at least the unemployed people can send their resumes in. And maybe, if the company has enough bad hires from getting employed people coming on, the company will consider the unemployed people.

That, plus in many states, in order to receive unemployment, the workers have to prove that they're searching for work. They'll be able to at least say that they sent their resumes into the company. If a company has that policy, then they wouldn't be able to send it in.

10. Dick Whitman

So the goal is to make sure the right people get hired then?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure.

And the right people may be an already-employed person. Or an unemployed person.

12. Dick Whitman

And you think that the resources expended will be worth the reward? That a policy can be tailored to do that?

And you are willing to sacrifice some overall jobs in the economy because of the resources devoted to compliance?

Draft saved Draft deleted