1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Underappreciated flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

"Diner." Seriously, I know no one who saw it in the theater.

One of my all-time favorites is "Local Hero." Love that flick.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Great flick. My roommate in college punched the mustache off a guy at a bar. This local's only offense? Calling "Diggstown" a "gay, B-movie."

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Saw Tombstone the other night for the first time and I was pissed that I hadn't seen it yet. I don't usually like westerns but I liked it a lot.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My last film I suggested is among my three favorites.

But, to me, another underappreciated film was "Life As A House." Proof that Hayden Christiansen can do much more than Anakin Skywalker. Kevin Kline was outstanding as well.

5. lono

lono Active Member

NIGHT. OF. THE. COMET.

[​IMG]

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll throw in another Scorcese film that is widely ignored - "After Hours." One of my favorites.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Loved Big Fish.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I want to second "Murder by Death" mentioned earlier. I saw that as a pre-teen on cable TV with my friends and we all loved it. Saw it again on cable when I was in my 20s and it was just as hilarious as I remembered.

Re "Tombstone": I never thought of it as underappreciated, but it is my favorite western by far.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

But, Pencil, it quickly became a cult classic, in the early days of HBO and premium channels. An amazing cast with great dialogue.

Kevin Bacon/Fenwick: "We pulled over on the side of a lonely road. I told her, 'Fuck or fight.'"

Michael Tucker/Bagel: "Always a dreamer, eh, Boog?"
    Mickey Rourke/Boogie: "If ya ain't got dreams ... you got nightmares."

Tim Daly/Billy, confronting a drunk in the lockup: "You wanna fight? You wanna fight, you sonofabitch? I'll hit you so hard, I'll kill your whole family."

Paul Reiser/Modell: "You know a word I'm not comfortable with? Nuance. Now gesture, that's a good word. You know where you stand with gesture."

Great flick. Ellen Barkin doesn't hurt, either.

11. good call. I love this movie

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

'O Lucky Man'

Draft saved Draft deleted