1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Undeclared - or another "how come nobody told me" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I mean, I know I'm old as shit and all.
    But damn.

Kids were home, we were talking about how much we liked Freaks and Geeks. Son mentioned Undeclared. I'd never heard of it. Bought the set and we knocked out all the episodes over two days (only a half hour show so it isn't as looser-ish as it sounds).

Not quite on the Freaks and Geeks level, lofty standard there. But still quite enjoyable. I loved that Loudon Wainwright was in it, his Daughter song at the end of Knocked Up is excellent.

Anyone with me on this? How come F&G and Undeclared only lasted a season?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't get BYH started on the demise of F&G. Both were very smart shows with great writers. They were doomed to failure.

3. Moderator1

But why?
    Freaks and Geeks is much better than Undeclared but it is much better than everything. I enjoyed Undeclared.

4. sportschick

Because people are dumb and they'd rather watch Survivor than something that makes them think. Both shows had really low ratings.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The short answer, especially in the case of Freaks & Geeks, is that network executives are a bunch of trigger-happy nitwits more interested in creating cheap, profitable programming than allowing quality entertainment to develop an audience.

The kids in the cast have all done pretty darn well for themselves, so there's that.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have never heard of Undeclared outside of this board.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both are very good shows that nobody watched...

My So-Called Life falls into that category as well... I think it lasted only one season...

8. sportschick

It did, and that one still pisses me off.

9. Moderator1

I watched Freaks and Geeks when it was on - I don't remember ever hearing a word about Undeclared until last week.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Am I that much of a geek that I haven't watched network television, save sporting events, for many, many years?

11. Moderator1

I don't watch all that much. My wife and I are trying to get into the Monday night run of comedies but they usually blow. I don't enjoy Two and A Half Men all that much anymore.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mondays is Scouts/4H night. Never get home before 9 p.m.

No wonder I don't watch much TV. I'm never home.

Draft saved Draft deleted