1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncorked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Bless you.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Bless you, my son. Game-winning (or game-ending) is much preferred here. That's the action; walking off is the reaction.
    Oh, and to the recent posters, every word is made up. But I don't hear or read uncorked as often as I read or hear "twirled" for pitchers. And you hardly see that anymore.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've been "blessed" three times on this thread. Guess I'll make it through another week. Thanks!!

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Here's one. At my paper, nobody ever breaks or ends or stops a losing streak. It's always snapped. Drives me crazy, and I'm not sure why.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Bob Ryan must read SportsJournalists.com. From his column today:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/23/hes_fast_becoming_a_favorite/?page=full

6. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

If you haven't already, get a hold of "The Dickson Baseball Dictionary." It's great for finding out the origins of words/phrases.

Dickson on "uncorked":
    v. To throw explosively, like a champagne cork coming out of a bottle.
    It is sometimes used facetiously. "G.P. raced back and uncorked a throw that landed about four feet in front of him." (account of a game in Boonville, Calif., Anderson Valley Advertiser, June 11, 1986).

Draft saved Draft deleted