1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncorked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Oct 7, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I realize this is hardly the most important question that has ever hit this board, but it has been bothering me so I ask all editors and desk people -- writers, too -- when did the word UNCORKED become the official way to present a wild pitch? Why? What's wrong with threw, or was charged with, or let loose, or any other word or phrase with a similar meaning?

I just find it funny that you never hear any other verb used with a wild pitch when the TV folks discuss it, and it also seems to me most writers use it also. If you're on the desk, do you leave the word in, change it, delete it ... what?

Is anyone else bothered by this or am I the only lug who wants to know why we are so in love with the word uncorked.

2. boots

boots New Member

It's TV's influence Casty. Just like the term race card.
    I know it's crazy but I too am miffed when I hear or read uncorked or race card.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

And once again, Boots uncorks the race card.

4. boots

boots New Member

How about answering Casty's question or coming up with another example? That might make the thread more interesting.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

No, I like my response. Lighten up, I'm just joking. Uncork to your heart's desire.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

This thread reminds me of that SNL skit about corksoakers.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this might be about coverage of champagne celebrations in baseball.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

uncorked. Champagne is corked. Maybe Casty is tired of seeing teams celebrate every postseason series victory by spraying champagne on one another.

Or you could just go fuck yourself, Zeke, and have a happy Joe Torre's Last Day As Yankees Manager Day. :D :D :D

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This reminds me of George Carlin's rant about announcers saying "picked off." It's "intercepted!"

To me, threw seems sufficient. Although is there a similar cliche to "uncorked" for a passed ball? Actually, "passed ball" reminds me of another Carlin routine about "the final stage of beer nuts -- cotton balls."

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Maybe Vin Scully said it. Maybe Red Barber said it. Maybe Mel Allen said it. Like so many other things, it becomes a catch phrase, then a cliche.
    By the way, you won't find "walkoff" in the paper I slotted after Manny Ramirez's homer Friday night.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

God bless you.
    I used walkoff in a graphic a few weeks ago during a postgame and I felt dirty.

Draft saved Draft deleted