1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unconstitutionalcare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 12, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or, to put it another way: It's your fault if you get sick, so pay up. That doctor's Jag payment isn't going to make itself.

Also, since you're so keen on this, I assume you're perfectly OK with charging fat people more for insurance.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Desk wants the 22-year-old healthy person's rates to be determined by the risk that an unhealthy 50-year-old will get sick and require care.

That's not insurance.

That's a government program.

We've discussed this all before. It really is what liberals want. It's even ok that they want it. But they shouldn't frame it as insurance, or insurance reform. It's not.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's not happening now and wasn't happening in the past. Health insurances execs and regular employees can't have trips to resorts if you set premiums on risk.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But you can't because the purchaser knows facts that the insurer does not. The adverse selection problem.

YF, here is the biggest flaw in your libertarian utopia: Old people would not be able to get insurance at all. Or at-risk people, including those at risk through no fault of their own. Insurance companies wouldn't cover them.

Is that the society you are really advocating?

5. YankeeFan

Maybe "fair" isn't the right word, because it sounds liek I'm trying to make a "social justice' argument, which I'm not.

I only mean "fair" economically. Actuarially.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

UnitedHealth Group made $1.27 billion in profit last quarter. WellPoint made more than $700 million. Aetna made more than half a billion.

But yeah, you're right, it's the fucking consumer that needs to bear some of the cost.

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

7. First, you'd lose that bet, and second, from what I've heard, that is a rarity in countries with universal healthcare. More often, I've heard Canada described as a country where a dog can be treated before a human.

8. YankeeFan

That doesn't address my point at all.

9. German workers pay a tax to get out of the universal health care and get private insurance. Yeah, that's really something I want to deal with. Our system might not be great, but at least it's not government-run. I pray it stays that way.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It addresses it by pointing out in a rather obvious way that the consumer already is bearing some of the cost.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You just illustrated the problem with Paul Ryan's Medicare proposal.

UnitedHealth, Wellpoint and Aetna are private businesses. They should make as much profit as possible.

The question here is whether or not people's health should be at the mercy of a system where profit in and of itself, rather than positive health outcomes, is the objective.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From what you've heard, huh? Well, I can't argue with that.

I mean, I have facts and evidence and experience. But you've heard things. Touche.

Draft saved Draft deleted