1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncle Joe To MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2011/02/25/report-joe-torre-to-be-named-to-mlb-post-by-bud-selig/

Interesting - perhaps a training ground for the next commissioner of baseball.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

1. What's with the "Uncle Joe" crap? Why not put his name in the subject line?

2. 70 is a little old to be an apprentice CEO.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only thing more irrelevant than a vice-president is an executive vice-president. I guess he's going to be Selig's Tom Hagen?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Never in a zillion years. Check your history. Joe was among the MLBPA's leaders during the '60s and early '70s. The reason Paul Richards traded him from the Braves to the Cardinals was because of his outspoken support for the union.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I see the quote function, but where's the fun?

Edit: Never mind. No fun at all. You make me cry, Cran

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know that. I remember him vaguely as a player, particularly toward the end, when he was a player/manager for the Mets when I was young. It's hard to think of him as fighting for free agency, etc. with the image of Joe Torre, Yankees manager, when he was all "Mr. Streinbrenner." He was always a players' kind of manager, and clearly had respect for his players, but he has the aura of an authority figure. He's too old to be thinking commissioner, obviously, but do you think he has changed from where he was in the 60s and 70s to the point where he could have seen himself as a commissioner type?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Torre, Tom Seaver and Johnny Bench were key guys in establishing the Players Association. As someone said, if it was all utility infielders behind the idea, the owners would have just gotten new utility infielders. With the stars backing the union, it had some clout and made it easier for the other players to follow.

Of course, Yaz worked against the union, but that's another story.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's Boom. You're lucky he spelled Joe right.

Draft saved Draft deleted