1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UNC football in big trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And UNC-Asheville is about to go on probation.

Seriously, Yahoo has done excellent work in investigating these rules violations. And I, for one, am very disturbed by a coach acting as a runner to deliver a player to an agent, for cash. The coach has enough power over the player, such as playing time and (if the player cares about academics), scholarships, already. It's worse if the coach tells the player, "You go with this agent, or I'll make sure you sit on the bench for four years, and no one in the NFL will see you."

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows John Blake should not be surprised by this. The only reason he got the OU job was because Barry Switzer oversold him to OU so he could run him off his staff in Dallas.

And if I'm an agent I'm not using hotels to house these guys anymore. Lease an apartment or townhouse. That way the kids don't have to register with anybody.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd read something about this before...the source seems to be pretty spot-on regarding the Wichard connection. I've also seen allegations of laundering money through the players. This is ugly stuff. The Heels should probably be hoping for a USC-level punishment...don't think the death penalty is on the table, but it's going to get pretty bad for them.

Don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but regarding the UNC-Asheville stuff...the NCAA seems to be much more serious about policing the big schools since Myles Brand died. The new regime seems much more on top of the power schools. The days of Cleveland State taking the fall appear to be on the decline.

5. A concern I've heard from here is that the University of North Carolina (which oversees the 16-school system that includes UNC-Chapel Hill, Charlotte, NCSU, ECU, UNC-A, UNC-G, etc.) might try to place restrictions on all its schools in response to what's going on at UNC-CH. Of course that's coming from folks who are reveling in UNC-CH's "misfortune" and believe the UNC System will take a "gosh, if this is happening at Chapel Hill, imagine what's going on at our other schools" approach to the situation. I don't think the other member universities would accept that without a pretty big fight.

Personally, I'm kind of enjoying watching all this trickle out. And people I've talked to who are still in sports journalism around here are saying it's going to be ugly (not death penalty ugly, but really, really ugly).

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

State & ECU are part of the UNC system?

Didn't know that. I just assumed only the UNC hyphen schools were in that system.

7. Big Circus

App State and WCU, too, as long as we're talking about those that don't have the UNC name.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine is a big time high school coach, and he had a great player who let's say was not adequate academically.

There were two major schools this kid could have gone to for college out of high school, and ECU was one.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, EF.

I forwarded the piece to a devout Chapel Hill alum and very good friend of mine. He quickly responded with what he has already said in phone convos the last few weeks: Butch Davis should go away if even a fraction of this is true.

He never saw that doing things the right way (sorry, Starman ... this isn't Larry Brown even if it is his alma mater) if it meant giving up a win here or there. He now does. Nasty example in which to learn this lesson.

10. Big Circus

Agree with your friend, Sam. Davis has to go. My dislike for the Heels is well documented, but they always seemed to do things the right way. With this story, that reputation is pretty much torpedoed for good.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Appalachian State University
    East Carolina University
    Elizabeth City State University
    Fayetteville State University
    NC A&T State University
    North Carolina Central University
    NC State University
    UNC Asheville
    UNC-Chapel Hill
    UNC Charlotte
    UNC Greensboro
    UNC Pembroke
    UNC Wilmington
    UNC School of the Arts
    Western Carolina University
    Winston-Salem State University

And part of the NCSU-Chapel Hill rivalry circles around the fact that the system wanted to go with North Carolina-Raleigh.

NCSU wanted no part of it.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, a segment of these cheating schools (like UNC) just plain suck. Hell, if you're cheating, shouldn't you be... I dunno... BETTER?

Draft saved Draft deleted