1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN copy-editor positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Jul 24, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

OK, I know this ain't sports, but this sounds like a wicked sweet opportunity for the right people. Thought I'd post it here. From the ACES listserv:

The United Nations is holding a competitive examination for the recruitment of English copy-preparers/proofreaders/production editors
    which will be held tentatively on 15 October 2007 in New York, Geneva and other locations according to the number and location of qualified candidates invited to take the examination. Deadline for applications is 13 August 2007.

Candidates who are successful in this examination and are selected for inclusion in the roster will be appointed to fill vacancies as they occur in the language services in New York (USA), Geneva (Switzerland), Vienna (Austria), Nairobi (Kenya), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Bangkok (Thailand) and Santiago (Chile).

In addition to individual entitlements and benefits, the salary ranges from $82,800.00 to $140,418.00 annum.

A full description of the examination, a sample examination and application form are available on the UN website:
    http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/exam.htm

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

As an FYI, for the position in English, the qualifications stipulate that those applying must:

Have a perfect command of English and an excellent knowledge of French and one of the other official languages of the United Nations (Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).

...Crushes my chances nice and fast.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not only that, but I just opened the sample test. I'm not sure I even know what they want me to do.

Oh well. No Addis Ababa for me.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I figured this was a thread about putting mistakes into copy, being an UNcopyeditor and all.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I just saw the notice about French.

I can deal with French, since I took it in college, but knowing another language? Not so much.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

opened the sample test and once I got past all the instructions about setting the right pica widths, I realized the instructions are incomplete. Do they want it edited into American English or Queen's English? Would I change honour to honor? Both are correct, just a matter of which English they want the editor to use.

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'd be willing to learn any language they want for $140,000 a year.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd have a better chance of inventing my own language and getting it added to the official list than picking up French and a third language.

Draft saved Draft deleted