1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umpire called pitches for Randy Johnson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 21, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's the claim former Seattle catcher Dave Valle makes on page 34 of this week's SI.

In Tom Verducci's story about Johnson, Valle claims an umpire asked to call the pitches for Johnson during a game in 1993. Valle said the ump whispered the pitches to him and Johnson threw a complete game.

Now, if true, is that as bad or worse than A-Rod tipping pitches to his buddies?

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Hmm, I find it hard to believe there was that kind of communication going on and not one batter noticed anything. Not saying it definitely didn't or couldn't happen; I just find it highly unlikely.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I find that hard to believe, too.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At the risk of thread jacking this weeks SI is a candidate for the worst issue ever.

I breezed though mine on 1 elevator ride.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In a spring training game? Maybe.

In a regular season game? No way in hell.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sad to say, as soon as I saw it was Verducci, I figured this was, at best, an exaggeration if not an outright lie. AFter Clemens, what he writes holds no weight for me, dog.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The umpire in question:

[​IMG]

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bullshit! Mariners. No. 5. 15-yards. Still fourth down.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. Verducci seems to be following the same plan he did as Clemens approached 300. Put on the knee pads to get the inside story.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's got quotes from Valle, so if anybody is exaggerating or lying it's not Verducci (in this case).

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Gary Thorne's buying it.

How would it work? The ump would touch the catcher's back with 1, 2, 3 or 4 fingers and the catcher would relay the sign?

Draft saved Draft deleted