1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, that's not Brian Westbrook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Feb 23, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact that grown adults find prank calls funny. I outgrew that, as did everyone I know, by about 13.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I agree that it is bad. Perhaps it should be more of a red flag when the interview subject calls the network offering the interview, but it's still got to be somewhat difficult to prevent in most situations.

I remember the JFK Jr. incident. When they said they were talking to a witness calling in, I remember thinking, "what will they gain from this, other than filling time?" A few seconds later, the Stern pranker said their stuff, and it looked like the person on camera was going to explode.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ditto. Hell, the prank caller himself managed to be completely boring.

If you are going to do that, at least say increasingly funny and outrageous things before you get your stupid Howard Stern body part reference.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If you do that, you'll raise their red flags and you'll never get a chance to mention Howard's genitalia. Do it as drolly as possible, and they won't realize they got Baba Booey'd until they see the producer facepalming.

As for that sort of thing being unavoidable: Just me, but I'd think if someone purported to be a friend or agent or similarly non-famous but allegedly well-connected person, I'd write the comment and feed it to the talking head if it passed the sniff test. Do I really care what Brian Westbrook's agent sounds like? If it's someone purporting to be the star himself, and you get Booey'd, then it's a fuckup on your end because someone there should be able to ID the man in question. I know the big radio station in town where I grew up had a password system for schools to call in snow closings so some snotball couldn't call to announce that Big City's schools were closed.

And of course, there's the obvious question that hasn't been asked yet: What if Brian Westbrook really DOES worship Howard Stern's anus?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I LOVE that they still do it. Absolutely love exposing these news gatherers as frauds.

Mizzou would know better than I, because I fell off the stern bandwagon 15 years ago, but the best I remember was when some guy had Prince Charles on, had only two lines, and both lines were Captain Janks. I'm laffing as i write this.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't understand how these guys can just make it through the control room. I mean, ESPN has Clayton, Schefter, Mort, Michael Smith and god knows who else covering pro football. In addition, Sal Paolantonio is all things Philly. And the producers there think the manager/agent is going to bypass all those people -- people whom an agent/manager presumably would know -- and call some random number of a producer they've never heard of?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thus, the beauty of it all...

FRAUDS

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dan Patrick, the victim of the Bartman call prank is an admitted die hard Stern fan.

9. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Van Pelt handled it well because he has a sense of humor. I thought Patrick handled it well when it happened to him.

Be curious to see what the reactions of some of the other talking heads at the WWL would be.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's not my foot

Oops, should have read the thread first

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dools, why is Tina Turner in your av?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone told me that Van Pelt said on his show that he is also a huge Stern fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted