1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, can I work at Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, May 27, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Patagonia's HQ has similar benefits. I'd let Chef amputate one of my toes to work there.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's not important when your company can be sold at any moment for about a trillion dollars.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They should really sell it now. It amazes me how nobody learned their lessons from the last round of startup busts.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You would hopefully get rich off of that stock vesting.

I know doing anything with the internet is a risk, but I will say that teens and pre-teens do not email each other. They have email accounts because old people do.

Guess how they communicate? And Myspace seems to be the Beta to Facebook's VHS,

5. RickStain

The fundamental problem of the internet: How do you turn eyeballs into profit?

Teens use facebook to message, they use it to post blogs, they use it to host photos. All of that sucks up a ton of money in bandwidth while producing a pittance in ad revenue.

6. 93Devil

I guess the same way CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX have. You just have to be dominant enough to corner the market, and online, that is not that easy.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So what's the DVD to Facebook's VHS?

8. RickStain

Not quite. People will pay a lot more for TV ads than they will for internet ads.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Guy I know works at Yahoo. A lot of these perks sound the same as what he gets. At Yahoo, you can also drop your car off at a valet when you arrive at work. If you want, the valet will have your car washed for you. If you need an oil change, they'll get that done for you, too, gratis.

10. 93Devil

Right now that is true.

11. RickStain

It's been true for more than a decade and it doesn't seem to be getting any less true.

It's supply and demand. You can't flood the market with millions and millions of potential sites for ads and wonder why the prices bottom out.

12. 93Devil

I am guessing the same thing was said about radio and tv 50 years ago.

The thing holding back the internet is that not everyone is on high-speed. If that ever happens, we will be watching our local news through a webpage that comes through on our HD 52-inch computer monitor.

It might take a long time, but it is coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted