1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ultimate Fighting coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WSKY, Jun 17, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just about as faulty a leap, jay.

There would be an 89% better chance of prep boxing being approved than prep ultimate fighting.

2. Shotty, are you really suggesting that NCAA wrestlers are just "street fighters?" Most UFC headliners are former college wrestlers, and the guy who headlined the last show, Matt Hughes, was a two-time All-American. I'm stunned we even still have to have this conversation in 2006.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Oh Heavens!

Are we still having this conversation?

Ultimate Fighting Championship is no more a sport than American Gladiators was.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I'm stunned you have a limited grasp on facts.

Forgive me, that was a bit harsh.
    Why, exactly, is the UFC not a sport?
    We're not talking about those toughman competitions or the local cage fighting.
    I'm talking about the UFC. And I'm not talking why newspapers should or should not cover it.
    Why is it not a sport?
    Just wondering if you have actual facts to back up your opinion or just hyperbole.

Maybe we should just merge all the UFC threads and sticky them, so we don't keep having this conversation every two weeks. :)

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

If boxing is a sport, than MMA is a sport.

If vomiting is a sport, than I'm world champion.

6. HeinekenMan

Look, you can't just build a cockfighting ring, toss in some martial artists, sell tickets to the same people who swear that pro wrestling is 100-percent real and announce that you have a new sport.

It doesn't work that way. If it did, I'd be the founder and president of the Professional Meat Jerkers Association (right-handed division, of course).

Culture decides whether something is a sport. And our culture hasn't yet declared this a sport, even if some blood-thirsty drunk duded think it is.

7. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Just found out one of the local wrestling coaches competes in MMA. Could make for an interesting story.

8. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Ah, I understand.
    Silly me for thinking I could have this discussion with somebody who might have a well-thought out, reasoned argument.
    I now realize that you have nothing but hyperbole, misinformed generalizations and out-dated stereotypes.
    Good to know.

9. So with UFC, you take a handful of sports that have been Olympic sports since the dawn of time, like boxing, wrestling, and judo, and blend them into a hyrbid, and somehow, the end result is "not a sport?" Brilliant.

10. HeinekenMan

I don't believe I've seen shit or shinola out of you on this topic to convince me otherwise. If you're so passionate about your white trash sport, why don't you strap on some balls and tell me exactly why I should consider this a sport?

11. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Because, quite frankly, I've gotten past caring what you think or believing that having an intellectual discussion with you is possible.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Frankly, I got out of this because I realized I might not understand UFC as much as I thought I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted