1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Terror Plot Thwarted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

No laptop in stowaway? I'm not flying then.

It's bad enough fretting over whether or not my luggage is going to end up in Singapore. I think I'd have a heart attack thinking about all the things that could be happening to my laptop.

I'd take a boat back.

2. KP

KP Active Member

I like that if you want to bring baby formula, you have to taste it. Blah!!!!

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Damn straight. And don't you forget it. ;)
    On a more serious note, this would have been huge had the plan gone off without a hitch. Did I read they're not allowing hand baggage on board? Hmm. Might not be a bad idea here, if only to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry from bringing their 25-pound carry-on aboard.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I've twice been forced to check laptops rather than carry them on with me. Both screens were shattered by turbulence, but the airlines said they weren't at fault. Now if my laptop doesn't go on with me, I don't take the flight. I can't afford to break another.
    But I did see the CEO of JetBlue on my flight to SLC last week. He sat in a middle seat in the back of a crowded plane, and about midway through the flight he introduced himself over the speaker and began distributing drinks and goodies. Says he flies at least once a week to stay connected with the customer. And I happened to be flying free on this flight after writing JetBlue to thank them for their service (and those comfy leather chairs that have made trips to my chiro almost nonexistent); because of my nice letter, the JetBlue CEO sent me a free ticket ... and now here he was handing out chocchip cookies. It's a very nice airline but they better not check laptops.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I would say MI6, but they handle external security.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Washington officials are saying the flights targeted were American, Continental and United flights. The destinations were believed to be going to NYC, DC and California.
    Good luck to those flying today.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, Scotland Yard investigates this plot for months, then busts 18 people and ONLY THEN installs red alert super security?
    Isn't that kind of bassackwards?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

If Osama is ever located, don't kill him, make him fly commercial for a month.
    It's much worse than death.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

as much as i love carrying a bag on - for my bottled water, for my books, for my pens, paper, cpu, etc - i'd fully support all of this.

rather be safe than sorry.

hijacking 6 planes? the fuck?

i saw we get the nukes ready. im a dem, but fuck all this bullshit.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can live w/o checked liquids, for a few weeks . . . but they'd better not ban carry-on laptops from purely domestic flights . . . or there'll
    be hell to pay . . .
    flying in a few days . . . will wait to hear more updates, today . . .

11. somewriter

somewriter Member

Bush must have hit the "War disapproval up to 60%" button.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm hip, and as skeptical as anyone, but if so, he would engineer this for late-October . . . this plot fits the parameters for
    the whacks in question, and I'll buy it . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted