1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Ministers Considering Iran War Options

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 23, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

London - British government ministers are discussing what role the country could play in a possible military confrontation in the Middle East over Iran's nuclear programme, the BBC reported on Wednesday.

Ministers are considering whether any involvement from Britain would be legal if talks with Iran break down and Israel bombs Iran's nuclear facilities. Such a move risks starting a wider war in the region and a closure of the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil-shipping sea lane, the report said.

Britain is examining a number of options, from diplomatic support for Israel to the involvement of Britain's Royal Navy in the region, according to the BBC.

Britain's Foreign Office was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/UK-considers-Iran-war-options-report-20120523

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, better to be prepared. I'm sure plenty of other countries have discussed the same thing.

Once there is an initial strike from any side, there won't be much time for debate and discussion. 48 hours and a full scale war will be in progress. Better have your plans made in advance.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

48 hours? Try instantaneously. We have two carrier battle groups parked in the Persian Gulf, a third within a few days' sail and several air bases in Turkey. Not to mention several tens of thousands of troops across the border on the opposite side of the country who will get a "change of mission" ....

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is what armed forces do, plan for wars that might not be fought. During the 1920s, when the U.S. military was very small indeed, they had war plans for war with Great Britain. Now, even the planners knew that was never going to happen. But you have to keep the staff busy somehow.
    I seriously doubt Parliament would approve military action against Iran unless Iran did something beyond provocative, like invade Saudi Arabia. It could cause the coalition government to fall.
    If the U.S. hasn't learned by now that using all our shiny bombs and planes to accomplish political goals does not work, and that wars have a nasty tendency to last way longer and cost infinitely more than one expects, we deserve whatever we get.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No government has ever learned that.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I (sorta) love my (semi-)adopted country but really, given the state of the British military. what are their options?

My hunch is that it's coming down to sweet FA or simply plain FA.

Draft saved Draft deleted