1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uhhmm, AP, how many Beckham stories are you going to shove down our throats?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Does your newspaper lack wastebaskets?

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

True, but I think they took the next step with too big of a stride. If you're going to give an aging player a quarter billion dollars, what should a young stud get?

Also, Becks was brought here as much for his media draw as he was for his playing ability. That could set a dangerous precedent if this experiment does work. It was the right time for the MLS to grab a Eurpean star, but they haven't executed the move well, from the ridiculous salary to the schlocky press conference.

But either way, it's $250 mil and possibly the fate of the MLS, so I think the AP should put all the Beckham stories they can on the wires.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok I get it now the sport of soccer won't hold up on it's own merrits so the MLS has to resort to the cheesy Hooters marketing plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd rather watch soccer than basketball.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, Becks shirtless has been around for a lot longer than his move to the MLS. I almost bought that poster today at Target. Becks is taking over the world :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. s'chick's got a boyfriend.
    Nah-nah-nah. Na na na.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not $250 mil. That's counting endorsements, not anything coming out of the owner's pocket. His salary is far, far smaller.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So would I.

And it still doesn't mean that the stars of the soccer world are busting down the doors of MLS front offices, as much as our friends would like us to believe it's so.

The MLS is, uh, not exactly the Bundesliga. Sorry.

9. sportschick

You're just jealous!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fenian wants a boyfriend?

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i just look forward to the day when male athletes can be viewed for their accomplishments and not because of their looks. It's a bitch being treated like a piece of meat.

12. sportschick

He'll be after Jake next. Better keep an eye on him :D

Draft saved Draft deleted