1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uh-oh, my best friend works at Bear Sterns...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Mar 14, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This is not a good day...

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200803141642DOWJONESDJONLINE001008_FORTUNE5.htm

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I think you need to change the title to worked.

I thank God that they sold my IRA 2 years ago.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

He hasn't returned my calls all day. I'm a bit worried.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

GNBF: Depends on where he works at BS. If he's in processing, then no worries. There will just be a different corporate treasurer's name on the bottom of the paycheck next time.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with him - his "group" is fine. Unless they fire all six of them, which could happen, they'll just be swallowed up.

What a weird day.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why the heck would an investment firm have the word "Bear" in its name?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sounded better than Panicked Market Sell-Off Stearns, I guess.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sounds like your friend would be the wrong person to guess how much Kim Kardashian weighs. At Bear Sterns, they can't predict the fluctuations of anything.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that...

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If your friend has worked there for 20 years and he's making six figures, I'm afraid I can't lose any sleep over whatever might happen to his job. I've got more important concerns.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Actually, he's 24 and a year out of Yale. Nice comment though, buddy.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And the Chairman of the Board dialed in to the events from a bridge tournament.
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB120550108028136579.html

For anyone who follows this stuff, Cayne is the F'er who, while President, while the Bear hedge fund problems arose last summer, was never around because he helicoptered out for golf every thursday afternoon, and Fridays.
    http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/01/news/companies/bearstearns_ceo/index.htm

Someone asked him a question on a conference call regarding the hedge fund disaster, and he was gone. It was golf time, come hell or high water.

He was booted upstairs to Chairman in January.

Oh btw, Bear is one of the five firms who have given out $100 billion dollars in executive bonuses in the past five years. That's not a misprint, 100 billion dollars.

Bonuses apparently built on bogus and fictitious profits. Which really shouldn't matter to Joe Six Pack, except that he is the one bailing out Bear. It is just an unfathomable system we have in this country. Privatize gains, nationalize losses. And us sheeple allow it.

Draft saved Draft deleted