1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uh-oh — Iran kidnaps 15 sailors in Iraqi waters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a9I3O744G8uI&refer=home

2. http://www.hbci.com/~tgort/tonkin.htm

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

3. This will get ugly fast.

Sincerely,

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This could definitely bloom into something very bad very quickly.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or they could give them back like they did last time.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The story noted this has happened before. Granted that was when the heat wasn't cranked up as much, but I doubt the UK is going to escalate anything. As for us? We're just stupid enough to go barrelling in like Carmelo Anthony to start some shit.

Dumb move by Iran, whose leverage vis a vis its nuclear program dropped big time this week when the Russians said no pay, no play.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I fully acknowledge this has happened before. But while some people treat this as a ho-hum affair, I for one certainly do not. Maybe because I, y'know, served in the Navy. I sure as hell know how I'd feel if I were one of those British swabbies.

8. Armchair_QB

I can't begin to imagine what it's like for these guys. I don't mean to minimize what is happening to them at all. But I'd like to believe they'll get home safely and soon.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The interrogation continues and the rhetoric increases in flow.
    This has all the looks of eventual Coalition involvement, and in a violent manner.
    British don't feel, first off, that they were even in Iranian waters.

10. Armchair_QB

Probably because they weren't.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised there haven't been attacks yet. Ahmedinejad is fucking loony toons and his country is turning against him. This would be a good way to rally support.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Is he really loony toons, or does he say outrageous things to curry favor with the hardline religious leaders who wield so much of the power in Iran? That's the thing with Ahmedinejad that's not abundantly clear: his real motivation.

Draft saved Draft deleted