1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UH coach Tom Herman takes radio guys to task

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jan 6, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I gotta say, I think I'm with Herman on this one.

Herman was disputing a report by the Houston Chronicle's John Lopez. And Lopez's defense seems to be that even though he could have been wrong about their meeting, he got the story right because Allen did transfer to UH. The radio guy then goes deep into the fact that a phone conversation could be a meeting -- uh, do we all think that? Anyway, what they're talking about is, if true, an NCAA violation that could affect Allen's eligibility there. So Herman has a right to be pissed if the part about the meeting is untrue.

"Substantially true," in other words. And Lopez does not appear to stand behind the entirety of his report.

Bonus points for Lopez's "I've been here since long before you arrived and I'll be here long after you're gone" dick-swinging column yesterday.

A Note To Coach Tom Herman On Kyle Allen Story

Bonus points also for the radio guy with the "we don't write the headlines" thing. The headline said they met in Houston. And neither Lopez nor his radio partner is willing to stand up and say, yes, they did meet in Houston.

3. LongTimeListener

As the thing goes on, what I am most struck by is both sides appear to have studied at the Baron School of Analogies.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Small correction, LTL -- Lopez left the Houston Chronicle in 2007.

5. LongTimeListener

OK. Where did the report appear, then? Was it on the radio station's website?

6. LongTimeListener

And by way of analogy, there would be no need for me to acknowledge being incorrect on Lopez's affiliation, because my post was pretty much true.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would guess so. I just know John hasn't been at the Chron for a long time.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only if Allen was offered a car.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with Herman that that one fact being wrong makes the story wrong. The fact that these two hammerheads can't get that is amazing to me. The fact that one of them worked for a newspaper is staggering.

10. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

The world is going to end!

There, I reported it. That doesn't mean when it happens, I was right.

Lopez is wrong. The only thing he was first on was interest between the two sides. The rest of the story he got wrong.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like to me Lopez and his knucklehead cohort botched it and are doing everything they can to avoid admitting they are wrong while they seem to no longer be beating their chests that they were right.

A situation like this can really put a coach and a program in jeopardy. But that's typical new media today. Get it first and to hell with the rest of you. Whether it's right or wrong, we had it first, yay! And I include talk radio in new media. The talking radio heads stir more shit up than just about anyone and have almost zero accountability. I would never give talk radio the time of day if I were a head coach. At least with TV and newspaper, you know the reporters have someone to answer to.

Draft saved Draft deleted