1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ugliest uniforms ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 3, 2020.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Count me as pro the Pirates 1970's uniforms. The team had an incredible number of possible uniform combinations and the pillbox hats with stars were awesome.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most baseball teams now have at least one alternate jersey, but who was the first? Was it those 1970s Pirates? Did the A's have a couple of different uniforms before that during the Charlie Finley era? Was it someone even earlier than that?

3. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

Being the unabashed '90s nostalgia junkie that I am, I would seriously watch that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Uni Watch: When the sport world was laughing in the purple rain

Purple and teal were everywhere in the 90s. Throw in every team adding black unis and it seemed like every other new franchise in arena football or minor league baseball team was some version of 'Dogs, Dawgs etc.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

the athletics had three different jerseys in the early 1970s as did the Indians, but I am pretty sure the Pirates did a third jersey as early as 1925.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hard to describe how awash in purple this region was for a while (not to mention a nearby school which swears by the color). The Hornets were a hit ... and proof of how big a hit they are today is that you quickly saw more of their gear after the moniker change than anyone saw of the Bobcats.

Word was Michael Jordan was wary of changing because costs would run about $4 million. Hopefully, someone told him that the extra gear sold renaming them would more than compensate. Dunno know convinced him to change his mind, but that person deserves a lot of credit.

Also, kudos that Paul Lukas did not label the Carolina Panthers' blue as teal. The Jacksonville Jaguars have teal among their colors. The Panthers have blue among theirs. They call it "Panthers Blue." I half-jokingly call it "electric blue" because it looks like baby/sky/Columbia/"Carolina" blue plugged into a power source. Not dark enough to be royal or certainly navy, but not a sky blue, either. And it does NOT work as a primary color for any gear.

7. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

Not just any purple. There were several cases of eggplant. Not to mention all the Ice (Insert Noun Here)s in minor-league hockey.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted