1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGH women... Please administer the lethal injection now....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 8, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So I told someone a few days ago, you won't see any drunken threads from me ever. In the spirit of honesty, I am drunk, but I never turn into a sloppy drunk, so I feel OK posting this...

This evening started out as something I was looking forward to. No I didn't watch my Yankees lose. I decided for once that sports wasn't going to rule my life and I had no work reason for watching the game. I could just as easily have watched it later if they had won.

The occasion was a party for a good friend who is one of the coolest people I know. Thing is, we used to be REALLY close and our relationship slowly drifted. We are not as close as we were 7 or 8 years ago. She recently got married. This was a party for her and her new husband, who I do not know.

I got there at a time I thought was fashionably late (I wasn't making a statement, I was just running late). I was still one of the first people there. I didn't know anyone except my friend. So I started talking to one of her new husband's friends (he's European), who was Danish! Some of you will remember I met a Danish woman a few weeks ago and posted about it and have gone out with her a couple of times. She is really cool, but I have been overwhelmed with work, and while we may still see each other more seriously, we have what is a casual relationship that has not ended, but is not growing. It is nothing commited.

So here I was thinking, "another Danish woman? What's up with this?" We started talking. We got along great. There was flirting in the body language. The conversation was awesome. In the mean time, at least a dozen people I haven't seen in quite a while showed up and I spent no time with them, because I was getting along well with this woman. She was bright, attractive, interesting and had a world view similar to mine. We were REALLY hitting it off. So we sat down and talked and two hours passed and I never talked to anyone else the whole time even though a party was going on around me, and I was thinking, "Holy shit. This is awesome." Somewere before the get together was about to wind down she told me she had a pretty good trip to get home (she did live pretty far by subway, in a neighborhood no one I know would live in) and that she had to be up early. I WOULD HAVE asked her out, but she beat me to it. She said, "Let me give you my phone number and e-mail address, we should get to together for coffee." And I was thinking, "Ka ching." So we went into another room, she wrote her stuff down for me, handed it to me, started gathering her stuff... and just as I was about to do my happy dance, told me--shit you not--that she was going home to her boyfriend, who she lives with.

My question.... Am I wrong to think that is the most fucked up thing ever?!?!?!?!?!?! No inkling before then.

Amazingly, I had started to get buzzed enough where I shook it off somewhat (in worse times, it would have ended my evening, might have destroyed the next few wdays). Another friend, who is married and was in town was at the party. I haven't seen her in a few years. She is staying with a friend in NYC. So I talked to her for a bit and I had nowhere to be, so we bailed and met her friend at a place and had drinks, at which point I got drunker and drunker. My friend was the same cool woman I used to know. But her friend really got to me. A NY fashion industry bitch type. Attractive, but after 5 minutes you knew she would be more headache than even one good lay would ever justify (I say that with the caveat that I don't have casual sex.). During the next few hours the three of us knocked back drinks, had shallow conversation, and this woman I had just met, proceeded to psychoanalyze me (all wrongly), with the coup de gras being her telling me that I am two years away from being a guy she would never date, because any guy that age who isn't married is fucked up. In my drunken state, THAT sat really well with me. It's weird, I had no designs on her, would never date a woman like her, but her having said that really hit me hard. IT was like, "What if most women really feel that way in general?"

As a result, I am sitting here still buzzed not knowing what to make of the evening. It started as something I was looking forward to. Now thanks to the Danish tease and the women who knows how to stroke strange men's egos, I am wishing I had just stayed home and watched baseball.

So to paraphrase the thread title, "UGH!"

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dude, fuck her. And I mean that pejoratively, not literally.

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

call the Danish chick back and don't worry about the boyfriend. either she's completely clueless about men or is getting tired of the boyfriend.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I mean it literally. Hit it and quit it. Any woman who does that is not serious about the boyfriend.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You really have had a bad day. Stay drunk.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sorry on behalf of my half of the species. Some of us are idiotic assholes.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yes, some of us are bitches sometimes. That really sucks. I will add my apologies for this half of the species.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

No, men are idiotic assholes. Women are conniving bitches.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Good DyePack: That does sound strange.

Evil DyePack: I didn't realize choosing a beard was this hard.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

There's a good DyePack?

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sometimes.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Ragu,

OK, so call the Danish lady and go out for coffee, just do it at like 4 p.m.-ish on a Saturday afternoon. It's not a "safe" lunch time, as in "she's looking for some guy to pour her heart out to while she's boning some other guy."

It'll also give you a chance to see if you connect again. If you don't, then the night's not shot. If you do, then you have a chance to parlay it into a movie. So pick a coffee shop near a theatre with enough of a variety of cinematic choices. (Stay away from the art houses on the first date: too pretentious). Work some film into the conversation, see if any of her tastes match with what's showing, and go for it.

If she blows you off at least you tried. Think of it like the CFL: Second and long? You might as well put it up.

Remember what Buck O'Neil said: "Never let a woman in a red dress pass you by" or whatever it was. Carpe pudenda, which is Latin for "bone it like you own it."

The worst case scenario is that you have another intelligent conversation with an attractive woman. Which will serve you well, particularly when you have to fend off onslaughts from the likes of Obnoxious Fashion Bitch.

Goo, I don't care who your other friend is, she wouldn't let OFB light into a real friend like that. But you need to toughen up in that regard. Some broads LIKE to be treated like shit, so you need a little more asshole in your repertoire. The problem with being a nice guy is that people interpret that as a sign of weakness. Sad, but true.

Of course, you could just stay home and watch baseball. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted