1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ugh. How do I fight back?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Fine people of SportsJournalists.com, I need some advice.

Earlier this month, I paid my first student loan payment. I mailed the check on July 1. The funds were deducted from my bank account July 5. I paid this bill on time, like I have done with every other bill I've gotten in my entire life.

About ten days after this, I receive a letter from KeyBank in the mail that told me my account was delinquent, and to please pay up. I figure this must have just crossed in the mail. About three days after that, I get a call from KeyBank saying my account was still delinquent.

Long story short, I've been on the phone with their representatives for a good hour every day for the last 10 days or so. They keep telling me I've not paid. I keep telling them I have. I have had my bank fax them copies of the canceled check, and all the documentation they need. KeyBank keeps telling me they're "investigating" and the results should be available in a day or so. That has been the same story for 10 straight days.

Meanwhile, their records show my tab hasn't been paid, and they keep saying they will report this to credit agencies shortly. This, of course, comes at the worst possible time for me, because I am in the process of buying a house, and I do not want this affect my FICO score.

The bottom line is I'm ready to just give up and pay them again, even though I have already done so and I have the proof the money was deducted from my account. On principle, this sucks. But it could ultimately cost me a whole lot more if my interest rate goes up because of this.

I'm just extremely pissed off about this, and don't really seem to have any recourse, except to bend over and take it. I'm out of ideas, so if anyone out there has any, I'm all ears. Otherwise, thanks for letting me vent.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Do NOT pay them again.

DO continue to stay on the phone with them daily. And don't stop with the first person that answers the phone ... I would do as high up the chain as possible each day.

In fact ... I might start Tuesday with a call to the office of the president of Keybank, if the thing hasn't been resolved on Monday.

And they should take the responsibility of withdrawing any negative information filed to your credit report. And you should insert a statement that explains your part of the story.

Honestly, though, I would seek out a bank that does manual credit qualifying and doesn't rely on the FICO.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

See the ongoing thread about oil companies and you'll find there's no recourse. Nothing to do but kiss your ass good-bye.

Seriously, you've done the right thing by faxing copies of your bank statements, etc. Escalate the issue to a supervisor, then another supervisor and yet another. Keep careful notes of times, names, etc. Don't ever be a dick but make it absolutely clear in your tone that you know what you're talking about and they really don't want to mess with. A firm, insistent hand will usually do the trick.

Unless you're trying to cancel your AOL account.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Yeah, keep going up the food chain until you get resolution and definitely keep notes. Get the names and, if applicable, ID numbers of every single human being you talk with there. And call every day until it's fixed.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Find out who the president of Key Bank is, send him a registered letter with the documentation.
    Since he has to sign for the registered letter, he'll get the info...

When you next talk to a peon, tell them you are refering this matter to your attorney (then find a friend who will call on your behalf and tell them any further communication has to come through him). That you also consider this harrassment and if they do not cease and desist, you will take them to court because you indeed can prove you paid on time.

And for god sakes, dont be late with the next payment...

Draft saved Draft deleted