1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA prez: Bowls are "screwy", let's have a playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 8, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/01/08/cfbplayoffs_0108.html

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Until you can take the commissioners of the Big Ten and the Pac 10 and the Rose Bowl honchos to the negotiating table at gunpoint, it's not going to happen.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe not, but a few more high-profile university presidents could certainly help tilt the scales a bit more.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The UF president said the same thing last year and backed down after being ripped by other presidents.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Start a national championship tournament and let the Big 10 and Pac 10 sit it out. The resulting "national champion" wouldn't be any more bogus than the current system.

6. I think Adams is drastically overestimating his support among fellow presidents.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The UF president wasn't the chairman of the NCAA executive committee. Just sayin'.

Someone's going to just have to tell the Big Ten and the Pac 10 to pound sand. I'm not an Adams fan, but he might be the guy to do so. He hasn't let criticism stand in the way of his past decisions.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's basically how it was under the old "bowl alliance."

Last time I checked, Nebraska was counting the 2 national titles it won under this arrangement.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But to Poin's, uhm, point....those titles are about as valid as some of the BCS ones.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

adams is just grandstanding

the fuckin' bastard saw a chance to get his name out there and that's all he cares about. fuck michael adams.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I agree with Adams that, if there's a playoff, it should go back to an 11-game regular season. Twelve games is just so the home team can beat up on Bumblefuck Tech 77-0 and everyone can drink bourbon and be merry.
    I disagree with Adams that the playoffs should start with the BCS bowl games. That's way too late of a start. There's about three weeks before the first meaningless bowl games start (Yay! It's the Poinsettia Bowl!). Why not squeeze in the quarterfinals/semifinals then?
    In general, I disagree that a playoff would A. ruin the regular season and B. disrupt whatever academics Division I purports to honor. I covered DIII football for about five years. The push to get into the playoffs was just as exciting and would be just as exciting. Basically, you had to win your conference title to guarantee a spot or finish with one loss to a highly ranked team. Anything less and you're sitting at home.
    The DIII playoffs covers five straight weeks. Those players aren't on scholarship either, and they seem to do just fine as far as I can tell. I imagine they also go to class more often along with preparing for these games.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can we put the duct tape on real tight?

Draft saved Draft deleted