1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

uga beat at ajc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, May 30, 2008.

1. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Can't say I'm too surprised.

Just goes to show you how things have deteriorated there.
    I'm sure Ramos put up a fight to hire outside (this is the second biggest sports beat at the paper), but when you technically don't have a sports department it's difficult to get things your way.

I'm just glad D'Alessio got out when he did. He deserves much better than what is going down there.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Yes, you have to wonder how much pull a sports editor would have after, just a few months ago, he was told his services as sports editor were no longer needed. Although I guess the powers-that-be decided otherwise pretty quickly.

3. Do you know who they might promote from within?

4. So what's the biggest sports beat at the paper? I would say this is the top dog, pardon the pun.

5. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

To keep this sidetracked ...

Carter and I left The Oklahoman during the same week in August 2005 -- him for the AJC and me for The Arizona Republic. The final project for both of us in OKC was the 2005 football preview section, which ran the final Sunday in August.

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Further confirmation of my wrongness. Always good to have.

Thanks for that, Josh. That sort of puts the whole puzzle together. Clearly, the years are running together for me.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Braves coverage is bigger. Mizzou will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong and contnue our occasional friendly argument on this point.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is the top beat at the AJC by far. No disrespect to dixie, but I can't imagine anyone even suggesting otherwise. It's not even close.

Coverage hasn't been the same since Schlabach left (was inexplicably nudged out). Not a knock at Strickland, but Schlabach was in a different class... They need another person at that level.

9. dixiehack

And we're back. :D

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not even close.

A friend who works there says it's 1. UGA, 2. Georgia Tech 3. all the pro sports.

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The AJC might be the only paper in a pro town where a college beat is the top beat.

Go to a UGA football game and go to a Braves game and tell me what people care more about.

12. dixiehack

Georgia Tech barely outranks Parkview High and the late models at Dixie Speedway in terms of importance at the AJC.

FBC is the most important sport to the section, but the Braves are the single biggest beat. Not that most of the state can get any news from the AJC that happens after sundown now anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted