1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

uga beat at ajc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, May 30, 2008.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

heard carter strickland is getting out of the biz... anyone hear any scoop?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's hoping the first call goes to Josh Kendall.

What's Strickland doing?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

FAREWELL TO...
    Craig Custance, who has done a great job covering the Atlanta Thrashers for the past 1 1/2 years, is leaving the AJC to become the national hockey writer for the Sporting News. Craig's tireless work ethic and dogged reporting elevated our Thrashers and NHL coverage at a time when the team made its first-ever playoff appearance. Craig's last day will be June 30.

Carter Strickland, who has covered Georgia football for the past two years, has resigned to concentrate on some financial interests, as well as his family. His last day will be June 12. Sadly, journalism is losing a talented reporter and writer. From the time he arrived, Carter has written more than 1500 stories, an amazing total. He says he plans to stay in Athens for awhile.

BEAT CHANGE IN NEWS & INFORMATION
    Mike Knobler, who has done a stellar job as the lead Georgia Tech football reporter, will take over the Thrashers beat immediately. With the team preparing to hire a new coach in the next two weeks and NHL free agency starting on July 1, we needed someone who could step right in. We are thrilled that Mike wants to take on this new challenge.
    — Ronnie Ramos, N&I senior editor for Sports & Features

So, apparently the GT beat, too.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And I'm moving this because there's no actual job opening yet. For all we know, they'll fill from within.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Geez. 1,500 stories in two years. I knew the guy was a friggin' workhorse, but that's damn impressive.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Carter's a great guy, as is Josh, who indeed should be the first person called. I know Josh was a finalist for the gig last time around.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

josh is indeed a great guy, a great reporter and a great writer. if the ajc is smart, they'll do it. i'd certainly read their coverage more than i do now

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Anybody know whether Josh lives in Athens or Macon?

9. Wow.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

He lives in Athens, has since his days at the Banner-Herald.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I am told --- from an executive at the AJC --- that no one is being hired from the outside, aside from Web site producers.

12. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Josh should certainly be on a very short list if the ajc looks outside to fill the spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted