1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC results

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Seabasket, Dec 30, 2006.

1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Anyway, I can go on but more later.

Here are some good fighters and info to Q's above

1.) Brandon Vera is VERY good

2.) Cro Cop will kill most of UFC and left bc he knows he can't beat Fedor - no one can. Fedor is almost superhuman with super fast transitions and is strong from all aspects (kill you on the ground, kill you standing up, big tank of cardio and will push pace)

3.) Chuck has weird style but keeps winning at 37 - awesome for him

4.) I love Tito but needs to get off the "supplements" and wrestle more in fights regardless of what front office says.

5.) Tim Silvia is a goof but wins - he is not that good but good enough. I will give him props in that he does what he needs to do to win and doesn't care what Dana White thinks or if fans boo (he knows that all that matters if he is the champ) & I love that.

6.) Anything can happen in a fight but Cro Cop should kill Silvia

7.) Rampage killed Chuck in Pride but is no longer the same Rampage after his wars with Wandy S and is just being brought in to boost up Chuck (ala Hughes/Gracie). I would love to be wrong here but don't think I am

8.) MMA for me - very tempting as it is getting bigger but honestly not enough money in it and most get very serious lasting injuries or worse. The sport is brutal and that is no joke. If I was younger maybe. Although, if I start training again and think I still have something may do a short run for fun.

John

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't know if there is a record for words per post, but you're well on your way to setting it. Are you sure your real name isn't Gregg Eastabrook?

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Well-played, dd, well-played. :)

4. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Actually Ortiz isn't the superior wrestler. Credentials wise Liddell's wrestling background is stronger than Ortiz's. Styles make fights and Liddell is Ortiz's nightmare opponent.

Liddell's wrestling background, as described in an extract from his bio at "SLO Kickboxing" where he's an instructor. The important part is in bold.

Liddell was a four year starter at a division one wrestling school.

Ortiz had some success at a junior college level, but was never a full time starter when he moved on from Golden West to Cal State Bakersfield, which has a division one program. That's not to say Ortiz is a bad wrestler, getting on a division one program is very impressive, Liddell just has better wrestling, credentials wise.

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

And don't forget - he is real strong, as we can see.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

HBO will be showing some UFC cards. Well, they might be.

It's been well known that the UFC and HBO have been in talks for a long while. When "Showtime" signed a deal with Gary Shaw's new MMA start-up, I guess, they forced HBO's hand. For those who don't know, Gary Shaw is a long time boxing promoter. In fact, he promoted Lewis/Tyson .

Anyway...

From "Ring Talk" a boxing website....

From that it sounds like the UFC have their HBO deal.

Also, something that is relevant to this thread...

I should note that the numbers for UFC 66 aren't in. If they do the projected numbers then that will be the biggest PPV of the year. Also, the UFC card headlined by Matt Hughes taking on GSP that took place in November isn't on the list either. It probably did big numbers as well.

Most PPV buys, JAN-OCT 2006

1. BOX Oscar DeLa Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga 925,000
    2. UFC Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock 775,000
    3. UFC Matt Hughes vs. B.J. Penn 700,000
    4. WWE Wrestlemania 636,000
    5. UFC Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie 600,000
    6. UFC Chuck Liddell vs. Renato Sobral 500,000
    7. UFC Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin 425,000
    8. BOX Shane Mosely vs. Fernando Vargas 420,000
    9. UFC Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture 400,000
    10.BOX Floyd Mayweather vs. Zab Judah 375,000

Draft saved Draft deleted