1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC president's homophobic, sexist rant at reporter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 2, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It not only seemed scripted, it was way overblown. For Dana White to put this on YouTube himself screams of someone who is looking for air time. There are a couple more weeks before the next UFC fight, and even that one doesn't look all that appealing.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You seem surprised.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not surprised. Just an observation.
    Dude's a smart guy -- you don't essentially turn street fighting into a mega-corporation overnight without being slightly intelligent. But this was pretty much just boring. I've seen better rants from I-AA football coaches.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

White apologizes to people he offended with the rant but not to the reporter: http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4038944

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

[blue]impressive.[/blue]

7. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

You fail to realise that something isn't a sport unless they say it is. Jeez, keep up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Dana White actually had somebody hold a camera while he was sitting on the couch saying this stuff?
    That just seems so stupid to me.

9. Sobral

Sobral New Member

And I don't mean to be stereotypical - but there are some total hack writers on this forum if it's really full of sports journalists like the domain would indicate. ;)

I'm not going to bother here long, as I just picked up the link off an MMA forum LOL'ing at the ignorance of the people on this thread.

UFC is a brand name, not a sport. Dana White is the president of this particular brand. The term you're looking for is Mixed Martial Arts..it branches out internationally with many different promotions, managers, fighters and fan base.

If you think all of MMA is inside of a cage(many promotions use a ring) with a bunch of beer chugging drunks in the crowds, that's a very big mistake.. That's Americans you're generalizing.. not MMA fans.

Many countries honor their martial arts like Judo, Sambo, Boxing, Wrestling and these are the sports that comprise Mixed Martial Arts.. if you consider these things to be "basically streetfighting", lol at that..

If familiar with the sport at all, a very large portion of the MMA community despise the lack of professionalism Dana White and the UFC bring to the table. He's done a lot of good things, but a lot of bad as well.

Just like you guys generalized how a specific community behaves and what they like.. we could just as easily generalize you guys as a bunch hack of journalists who write harsh things about a large group of people without doing any research first while also having a very limited knowledge on the topic you're addressing.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"I'm fuckin' sorry if I fuckin' offended you, you fuckin' faggots. Have a nice day!!! ;) "

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Echoing many of you, there is absolutely nothing shocking about any of this:

- Dana White is a loudmouth, which plays well to the fight audience. It played in boxing, and it plays for UFC, which is NOT a sport, but a brand! He knows that this will get fans going . . . maybe they'll find Loretta Hunt's e-mail address and post it on their message boards? "Write this idiot!! Let her know she sucks!! She hates UFC!!!"
    - As noted by GB Hack, sports journalists proudly proclaiming their ignorance of certain sports is nothing unique. The generation of columnists who treat soccer this way is only now dying out.
    - And it's no surprise some MMA worshiper showed up to defend the sanctity of his sport. I do have one question as long as the expert is here: If the "Ultimate" Fighting Whatever-the-C-stands-for is so "ULTIMATE!!!!!" why do they have six-plus events per year?

Draft saved Draft deleted