1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC 65

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GimpyScribe, Nov 19, 2006.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

OK, screw it, I'm starting a thread.
    I watched UFC 65 last night and it was one of the most enjoyable events I've seen in a long time.
    Nearly every fight on the pay-per-view (except for the heavyweight title fight) was action packed. The main event had a great storyline going into it and seeing Georges St. Pierre "upset" Matt Hughes for the welterweight title was worth the price of the pay-per-view alone. I know UFC, and really MMA as a sport, is still fighting to gain mainstream respect as a sport, but it's hard to ignore the buyrates these events are drawing.
    December 30th's event, featuring Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz, could top 900,000 buys (which is De La Hoya/WrestleMania numbers).
    Anyone else watch last night's card?

2. GravyTrain

GravyTrain Guest

I watched it at a local sports bar. UFC's pretty awesome and it's catching on big time with guys in the 18-35 age range. I live in the South and at the bar they had the Ole Miss-LSU game on and the UFC fights. Probably 30-40 percent of the people in the bar were there for UFC.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I was more of a fan of UFC 61 myself. It was underappreciated as a true sports classic.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Does anyone else get a strong homoerotic vibe off those telecasts?

Lots of gel, fake tans and terrible tattoos -- and then cauilflower ear. One guy was fighting in boxer briefs.

5. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

how did hughes lose? thanks.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

St. Pierre dominated Hughes until he hit him with a leg kick to the head, then just started throwing fists and elbows until the figt was stopped in the 2nd round.

Hughes looked completely lost, kinda like Ken Shamrock the last few years.

8. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Hughes was pretty out of it, you're right about that. I think fighting so much this year - his third fight since late May - took a toll on him and he was a step slow last night. But GSP is a heck of a fighter, too. He just pushes the pace so much right now. That third fight should be a doozy.
    And, yes, the card (minus the Sylvia fight) was entertaining. The environment was great all night I thought.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It sets up UFC 66 nicely.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There's an ad for UFC 62 tickets. I bet there'd be a good deal for those.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well, the LA Times, which doesn't travel with the two SoCal hockey teams anymore, sent Lance Pugmire to Sacramento for the UFC bout.

The girl sitting in the office room behind me does credentialing for this. You'd be amazed how many people try getting credentialed for this. Way, Waaaay more than boxing.

Some of them are even legitimate ;)

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The TImes finally woke up, then. Good for them; they virtually ignored it for a long time while other LA-area outlets were pounding the beat.

I'm no UFC fan (props for noting my sarcasm), but it should be covered when there's a local connection or local events.

Draft saved Draft deleted