1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCONN cornerback stabbed to death early this morning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Oct 18, 2009.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

UCONN cornerback stabbed to death early this morning

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-stabbing-jasper-howard-1018,0,69181.story

2. That's just awful.

We just had a kid in my town here stabbed with a broken beer bottle the other night, and I just don't understand it. I've never been so enraged in a fight that I felt the need to stab or shoot somebody, and I don't understand how someone else could. Maybe it was to do with the environment you grow up in. I never had to live in a "Boyz in the hood" scenario where I always had to watch my back ... Thank God. I know I wouldn't have lasted long.

Just far too young and too much upside in his life for something like this to happen.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure his mom was happy to send him to Storrs and out of Miami because it would be a better environment for him too. Christ, what a sad story

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Awful story, and I want to get all the details to see exactly what happened, and why.
    RIP, young man.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'm curious what kind of campus dance it was and who all was in attendance. Granted I went to a hippie Pac-10 school, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember a single athlete attending one of the homecoming on-campus dances.

Beyond the identity of the second victim, I'm also curious if this is any way altered anything for the basketball teams, being the opening weekend of practice w/plenty of big-time recruits on campus.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The only on-campus dances we had at UK were when the black fraternities/sororities hosted one at the student center. It could be one of those, because football players ALWAYS rolled through.

Also write-thru says he was going to be a father. :(

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There aren't a whole lot of entertainment options in Storrs. A Saturday night dance is probably a pretty big deal there.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

As someone who graduated from UConn, I guaran-damn-tee the suspect was not a UConn student. Ninety percent of the a-holes who cause trouble at that school during parties - most notably Spring Weekend - are from other schools around the state, or don't attend college at all. Would not be surprised if/when it comes out that the accused has no connection to UConn whatsoever.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm amazed this thread is so short.

We had a football player in my district stabbed to death on the "dance floor" a few years ago at a rap-cd release party. This murdered kid was a good kid. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time dancing the wrong way. I have no idea how you dance the wrong way, but he did something with his hands or reacted the wrong way to the thugs that came into the party.

As a father of a 20-month old girl, the best advice I can give her is if you are in a situation where you see people arrive that scare you or that you think might could possible have a gun or hurt someone, you leave. Even if you are with 500 good people and five of these idiots show up, you leave.

If that means that when five kids dressed like gangsters show up that 50 people automatically leave, then so be it.

10. A terrible, terrible story all around.

But, did anybody else see Randy Edsall's presser (with a strange smile on his face at times, as well)? To me, it seemed like he was doing a living room recruiting pitch to parents of future recruits. It was all about him--I had to identify the body, I had to call the parents. We get it, Randy, but the story wasn't about you.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The more you read about this store, the more heartbreaking it becomes. Got off the streets of Miami to escape the violence, father to be, two teenage sisters at home, one with meningitis. Mom raised everyone becuase the father took off,working to move family to CT.

I didn't have a problem with Randy's presser. That's something they don't teach you at coaching school.

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

The video of his mother tore me up. Saw it on "Outside the Lines." Just horrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted