1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad is a Danny Almonte

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 22, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pops indicted on federal bank fraud and conspiracy charges related to an alleged mortgage scam.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/crime-courts/father-former-ucla-basketball-star-faces-federal-bank-fraud-conspiracy-charges

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This type of age adjustment happens in many forms, more than many realize.
    Many parents when grade is the deciding factor will hold their kids back a year so
    they are playing against younger kids. The real extreme is moving to another school system
    and having kid repeat a year.

It's can a huge advantage even in HS. Malcolm Gladwell in Outliers wrote about how hockey players born in first 6 months of year have a better chance of making the NHL
    because leagues are set up by age.

I know of a kid who's parents just did that. He was in sophomore year in one state and they moved him out of state to another HS and kept him as a sophomore. I've followed
    in local newspapers. Kid is just dominating and billed as a sophomore phenom in new HS.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of parents are giving their kids a "redshirt year" these days, but they don't lie about their age...

My oldest played in a football league last year which was for 1st through 3rd graders. There was one kid who was night and day better than everyone. He just ran over every team. His dad had played college football and was working as a coach. Then, another coach told me, "The kid is almost 10."

No rules were broken, but the shit was just ridiculous. The kid was 18 months older than the majority of the kids in his class.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Definitely seen that in my experience. Grade specific league, NOT age, and some kid is dominating; then hear he's over a year older.

I remember a peer in grade school and Junior High then in 9th grade wondering where's Jeff at football practice? He was held back to repeat 8th grade again. He wasn't dumb.

As for this, really wondering whether Shabazz knew or did not know, worse I figure if he knew because he had to deal with knowing he was a fraud.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My youngest has an October birthday. I think he beat the "deadline" to start school by about a week. If we had started him when he was first eligible, he would have been unquestionably the youngest kid in his class. We decided to wait a year to start him. He's now one of the older kids in his class, but it's not like some of these kids who are just ridiculously older than most of their classmates.

Some people just go nuts with it though...

Draft saved Draft deleted