1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA beat writer, L.A. Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Is this the same Jon Gold that was at the Las Vegas Review Journal not too long ago?

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Yes.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, this job has not been officially filled (if someone knows with certainty, please PM or post). So it's unlocked. But posts ripping people who may be in line for the position have been removed. Keep it clean, or keep it to yourself.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

It's done. They've offered Gold, I'm told.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They've offered gold? I'm at the wrong paper. I only get paid in silver.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Gold is a done deal. Congrats to him.

7. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Didn't this guy win the World Series of Poker two years ago?

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Negative. Jamie Gold won in 2006.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

A former colleague who now works at the Daily News tells me the impetus for the relatively quick UCLA hire was the popularity of the UCLA blog, noting they axed their Dodgers writer and won't replace him because nobody cares about the Dodgers blog. Gold seems to be in tune with the digital age, and appears to be a sound choice, if that's what they were looking for. But the thinking behind hiring a web-oriented guy seems to fly in the face of Singleton's own edict earlier this year that his properties shift their resources towards the moneymaking print product vs. the money hole web, and even start reducing the content available online.

10. texAZcharlie

texAZcharlie New Member

I'm not at all in any way saying that Gold is not good at what he does, but newspapers are following the same recipe time and time again:

Young = Cheap

Draft saved Draft deleted