1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA beat writer, L.A. Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Aug 4, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FWIW, I believe Gene Warnick is currently on vacation, so don't expect anything right away.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The job came open a little more than a week ago. These things take time. And there are qualified folks everywhere for this -- including former LANG people who could/should get looked at.

3. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

MileHigh. Thanks for that good inside info. That's what I was looking for, a cut to the chase.

4. BallsBusted

BallsBusted New Member

Anyone know the status of this one yet?

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

You're NOT hired!

But I'm not hired too.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The position was filled this week.

7. Does anyone know who got the gig?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Jon Gold has been writing UCLA stories the past couple of weeks. Don't know if he was made a full-timer (he's pretty young).

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

He was their fantasy football beat writer before this? So, they didn't hire, right?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be a nice bump in beats.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gold's also been blogging the beat like a madman.

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/08/throwback-thursday-chris-josep.html

Not sure he got the full-time assignment, especially since there hasn't been a separate thread about it . . . .

;) :D ;D

But if he did get the gig, congratulations to him. He does solid work.

And if Gold is the one, considering the fact Dohn left of his own free will rather than a layoff or buyout, I can say with full confidence that it's good to see a paper in a big market take a shot with the young guy. The Daily News has a couple of younger staffers who have earned good opportunities lately, of course.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I get the feeling he's been blogging like a madman because that is what the job largely will entail, and he has, essentially, been in a tryout for the position.

He's been there on a freelance basis for the past year, getting all kinds of top-notch assignments and opportunities, and great play and plenty of space on almost everything he's done. For a stringer, it has been what I would have considered a very sweet gig.

Considering all that, and now, all the work he's done recently on UCLA, it would no doubt hurt him, badly, if he didn't get the staff job, primo beat, or no.

Serious question, though: Why is it so good if a big paper in a big market is taking a shot with the young guy?

I mean, of course it's good for him. There's no denying that. But, from what I can see, young guys are getting all kinds of good opportunities lately, so it's not like that hasn't been happening anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted